Anybody here watch the G4 network?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Masood Ali, Aug 26, 2002.

1. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

Ever since we got it about a month ago, I've been tuning in to check out various shows.

Pulse is a pretty decent news show; updated about twice a week. Granted I can get all my news online, but they show a lot of features and videos that are fun to watch.

Cinematech is a hit or miss show. They show FMV, cut-scenes, and promo trailers for all sorts of games, from old to new. Most of the next-gen videos are fun to watch, including an episode last night which had Silent Hill 3, Splinter Cell, and MGS2:Substance on it.

Another fun show is Idols, which is akin to a "SportsCentury" feature on ESPN. They take a look at industry legends and how they got there; Shigeru Miyamoto, the EverQuest team, CORE (of TombRaider fame), etc.

Blister is a hit or miss. They show videos from Action/Adventure games, and it's usually fun when they show newer games like Zelda, Metroid, StarFox, Splinter Cell, Blinx, etc.

Some of the worst shows are probably Game On (a really boring show with two hosts who try to duke it out for bragging rights), StarCade (a old game show from the 70s-80s with people playing old coin-ops for prizes), and Cheat! (a show that gives you cheat codes for various games). Portal is a show about online role-playing games, and that is also very dull to watch.

I'm hoping G4 gains a little momentum as the industry picks up towards the holidays, because I'd like to see more frequent updates on their new shows. Imagine, one day being able to catch gaming news fresh off the wire when you wake up sippin' a cup of joe.

2. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

you are lucky....I wish DirecTV would pick this channel up.

3. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I basically watch G4 and TechTV exclusively in my house. I love having channels dedicates to technology and gaming. [​IMG]

4. Oscar_R

Oscar_R Second Unit

I wish G4 wasn't a digital exclusive channel with AT&T here in the Bay Area. Unfortuently the only person i know who has digital cable seem to have nothing to report on the subject so i have no idea how it's gone since launch. *cough* Joseph *cough*

5. JasonKrol

JasonKrol Supporting Actor

the female host of Pulse is damn hot!!
    i personally think Game On is an ok show. I get a few laughs out of it.
    G4TV.Com is a neat show too, because it kind of reminds me of the Screen Savers, in that it seems like a show done in real-time. People can participate in the show via the website and a chat room etc. The hosts are pretty cool too.
    Arena, while a great idea, is just a really dumb show. And if you've ever caught 1 episode, then youve caught them all! Its a show where 2 teams battle in CounterStrike, Unreal Tournmament, and Mech Warrior. Every battle is edited for time, and basically boring. If that show does anything, its make me want to go play a real match rather than just sit there and watch one. (mind you, CS matches can be really fun to watch, but something about watching them on that show makes it unfun)
    I also hope that the channel does well. Judging from the sets for each show they must have had a ton of startup money, because every set has like 2 or 3 plasmas and all flat screen monitors etc.

6. Chad Ellinger

Chad Ellinger Second Unit

I think the network is run and owned by Comcast, so its probably unlikely you'll see it on DirecTV.

7. Brandon_S

Brandon_S Second Unit

8. Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III Supporting Actor

When (if ever) Cox carries G4, then I'll watch it.
    Till then - its CNN Headline News every Thursday night.

9. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

Arena might be cool if they deleted the banter, kept minimal play by play, and showcased newer online games.

And I agree, Ronilyn Riley is H-O-T-T hot!

10. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I get TechTV, but don't watch the satellite that often. I wish we would get TechTV and G4 on cable.

11. JayV

JayV Supporting Actor

12. Ian_Fisher

Ian_Fisher Stunt Coordinator

Much to the dismay of my wife and sister, the network is on almost 24 hours a day at my house. The only time it's turned to something else, is when the Mariners are playing, I decide to watch TechTV, or something else watchable (like Buffy The Vampire Slayer or Angel) is on.

The only show I can't really get into is Portal, but I enjoy pretty much everything else of the network.

I disagree about the host of Pulse. There is something odd about her, can't put my finger on it, but I don't find her attractive. I was sitting there watching the show, and my wife came in and said, "hmmm, she's weird." Couldn't have said it better myself. I agree that she and the host of Filter don't seem to be as into games as the rest of the hosts.

13. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

I've been watching G4 for about a week. It's a good time killer when there's nothing on late Sunday night and before that first cup of coffee. It at least got my hyped for THE THING game (until I actually played the damn thing!).

14. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Jay-

Well, no. Capri pants are called shlongs because they are the combination of the word "short" and the word "long." Mediums are already a size, so I can't make it a name also. You can get medium longs, medium shorts, and medium shlongs, but not medium mediums. It just sounds too weird.