What's new

Any wireless issues with SP2? (1 Viewer)

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
I set up a wireless network for my church a few months ago (before SP2) and all was working great. Now I get a call about one machine that is constantly dropping it's connection and when it can be coaxed into a steady connection, it's extremely slow.

I had the user check and the machine has been upgraded to SP2 since the network was set up. Could this be the problem? Anything I can check out or try?

Mike Fassler

Supporting Actor
disable windows firewall,and see if it helps. there was a ton of security changes with SP2 so could be hard to say what it is but try the obvious first.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
When I installed SP2 on my fiancee's machine it was fine at first with the wireless connection. Then I opened Norton SystemWorks2003 and hit the update button and suddenly my wireless connection was gone and I never got it back. I finally uninstalled Norton, uninstalled SP2 and then reinstalled SP2 and the connection was fine again. I have yet to put Norton back on her computer.

SethH

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, but it really shouldn't affect your wireless connection. I use the Windows firewall (with SP2) and have no wireless problems. I have this setup with 4 different computers.

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
I didn't think it would....just trying to come up with some things the user can try before I haul out there and try my hand at it.
Guess I'm trying to rule out a hardware problem.

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Mmake sure they aren't using the default windows cofiguration program (Windows zero configuration) it's absolutly horrible and notorious for dropping connections all the time. They would want to use the connection software that came with their wireless card.

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
That was the first thing I tried. I had them disable that process and put it on manual start. They said that actually made things worse, whatever that means.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks