What's new

Any plans for an Xbox redesign? (1 Viewer)

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
Does anyone know if MS is planning on offering a redesigned Xbox console in the near future? I have purchased a number of titles in anticipation of my eventual purchase. What I would like to see is something with a smaller footprint; if not, then perhaps one in a different colour, preferably silver (please don't suggest the European-exclusive all-green finish, which may be the ugliest thing ever conceived).

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
There are a few places where you can order a console online and they will go out, buy it, custom paint the hardware (and even a controller with it), then send it to you.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Wait a second... you're not buying an Xbox because it's the wrong color? There's absolutely no need to redesign the Xbox-it's fine the way it is. I'd rather MS poured money into software development for the box than have them try to crank out "designer colors"

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
Aesthetics are purely subjective. I'm sure most folks won't give a second thought about the colour or design of the console; I don't fall into that group. ;) I'm not asking for a bevy of designer colours from which to choose from, but it would be nice to have options. Heck, if Europe can receive a semi-translucent green case for their market, there's no reason why N. America shouldn't get something similar (hopefully, more tasteful).

I haven't found any places as yet that repaints the hardware (as Morgan suggested), but the next best option (and one that doesn't invalidate the warranty) may be a removable vinyl skin. Inexpensive, laser-cut (for a perfect fit) and it's even available in a silver finish (chrome's available, but that's too tacky :D ).

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
EGM did an article a while ago about a place in California that will repaint consoles. There was even a thread about it here.

Tho

Auditioning
or you can even paint it yourself to any color combination and put in some LEDs if u want :) .. u can find some tutorials online

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
EGM did an article a while ago about a place in California that will repaint consoles. There was even a thread about it here.
Not much luck locating the thread thus far. Can you recall the initial subject? A search on EGM returned multiple results; not much luck with repaint or California as search criteria.

If the cost is anything like custom painted panels for PC cases, I'll just stick with vinyl skins (although a can of Krylon® is cheaper ;) )

Keith Pepling

Auditioning
Check this place out. The site seems to have some problems and i'm not 100% sure they are still in business, but it will at least show you what can be done.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the link, Keith. Looks like Xbox paint jobs won't be available until later this summer, which is fine by me.

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
I agree with Ken that eventually the Xbox should be re-released, with a smaler footprint, similar to the redesign of the PSX (now called PsOne)

Allen_Appel

Second Unit
From gamesindustry.biz

A number of Japanese magazines are reporting that Microsoft is moving ahead with plans to release a redesigned Xbox, dubbed "Xbox 1.5", which will come in a significantly smaller case than the original model.

Weekly magazine WAM has reported that the new system will be launched alongside the MMORPG True Fantasy Live in Japan later this year - a move which would make sense, given that True Fantasy Live is one of Microsoft's key hopes for invigorating sales of the Xbox in that territory.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
Seeing as the redesign rumour has been in circulation for a while, and with E3 passing with nary an announcement, I'm going to wait for an actual unveiling before the press (assuming there is one); speculation makes for poor journalism. The Tokyo Game Show in September would be a suitable venue to introduce such an item.

P.S. Make one in silver while you're at it. ;)

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
I kinda would like a rack mountable xbox......so I can put it in my rack :D That would be cool.........and great set of wireless controllers...that would be great two. But for right now I have to agree, I want them to take the money and use it on game developement.......

R~

Dan B

Screenwriter
Microsoft has officially stated at the Summer Xbox Conference in Japan that there will be no re-design of the Xbox.

IGN Article: (link doesn't seem to be working as I type this but I read it earlier today. It said that they will take steps to address this for the next Xbox though)
http://xbox.ign.com/articles/430/430223p1.html

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
Dan:

The link works. Have to say though that, while not a surprising announcement, it's still disappointing. I'm of the mindset that a simple makeover (i.e. a smaller footprint or design that looks more at home with the rest of my electronics) could be the proverbial shot-in-the-arm that MS needs.

With that news tidbit out of the way, I still plan on getting my Xbox repainted. A number of folks have volunteered their services to make this happen, but I'm still weighing my options.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks