What's new

Any pipe or cigar smokers about? (1 Viewer)

JohnE

Supporting Actor
Well, I've never been a cigarette smoker but about five years ago my brother-in-law got me interested in cigars and I've been smoking them ever since. I'm definately not a heavy smoker, usually enjoying two to three a week, but I do enjoy them.

Lately I've found myself interested in trying a pipe and finally this last month picked up a cheap one to give it a go. I love the smell and find it very relaxing , but it seems like a lot of work to keep the sucker lit. I'm wondering if there are any tricks to this art or is this normal.

While I'm at it I figured I'd ask if people have any favorites tabacco blends for the pipe. And any good recommendations on the pipes themselves?

And what the hell, what about favorite cigar brands?

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
I have never smoked a cigerete in my life, but a few buddies of mine got me hooked on cigars a while in Las Vegas.
I'm not a heavy cigar smoker, i may have about 1 a month.
I used to order through this catalog with a former coworker.
Thompson Cigars
they have a large variety of cigars and sometimes really good deals.
Paul

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
John, I don't smoke either but I actually enjoy listening to The General, Cigar Dave on Saturday afternoons on AM Radio. His website is Smokethis.com You'll love it, chock full of cigar info, adult libations, and of course the lovely Miss Kittay.(sp)?unsure of the spelling!

Trey Fletcher

Second Unit
I enjoy smoking both cigars and my various pipes, though lately I have definitely favored pipe smoking. For tobacco, I've pretty much stuck with the basic Black Cordial that I started with. My first question in regards to keeping the sucker lit is, do you have a tamper? This fifty-cent tool will make all of the difference in your pipe smoking by allowing you to properly pack the bowl, loosen the tobacco if you over pack, and removing the ash. Invest in one immediately if you haven't already done so.

The are several websites that can get you started on the basic techniques of pipe smoking. Just do a quick google search. Or, if you have specific questions just let me know. TF

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor
John,
Try www.jrcigars.com for great prices and quality stuff. I've been buying from JR for about 10 years now and have always had great buying experiences. There's a pretty good tool on their site that will recommend cigars for you accoriding to your preferences you pick. Note there will be a JR Ultimate cigar recommendation every time. They make them in all sizes and shapes and they really are great affordable cigars.
Enjoy!
Ralph

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
Well one thing that I found works (although not for tobacco) is after you light it........ press your lighter on top of the bowl........and then smoke it, It will make kind of a tighter area. actually I dont know the science on top of it but it works!

Chris Knox

Stunt Coordinator
It's all in how you pack your pipe, really. Personally I prefer 3 layers (over the most popular 4). I trickle the pipe full to overflowing once then LIGHTLY press it down with my finger (I'd say use the weight of the finger and no more). Then the next layer is filled to overflowing as well and then that layer is pressed down using nearly twice as much weight as the first pressing. This should leave your pipe about 2/3 full. Then, fill it again and give this one a firmer packing (say the weight of your hand). At this point you can add a 4th layer if it suits you and simply press until the tobacco is level with the rim of the pipe.

Do this a few times, emptying the pipe and starting again. Practice makes perfect. You'll know you have the pipe just right when you pull on it and it is like pulling water through a straw.

The pipe will go out occasionally, and there's really nothing that you can do to stop it other than continue to pull on it until it gets too hot and damages your pipe. If you cannot hold the pipe in your hand because of the heat, then you are pulling way too hard on it.

Relighting your pipe is part of pipe smoking. You have to get the thought of cigar smoking out of your head. They are two entirely different things. Just remember that when it does go out pack it down with your tamper before relighting it the first time, then the next time try using the wand of your tamper to stir it a little.

Do not smoke from the same pipe more too often in the day. Get yourself a couple of pipes and alternate them. Especially during the breakin period. And always choose briarwood or a better wood for your pipe. And never light with anything other than a match or you are a barbarian (in my opinion this goes for cigars too) Pipe smoking does take a little practice to master, but that adds to the elegance of pipe smoking. Enjoy.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sitcomguy
Recent bookmarks