What's new

Any personal experiences with ADELPHIA digital cable? (1 Viewer)

Jason Merrick

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Merrick
I have read all the negative reviews of digital cable in the past. However, my next-door neighbor who is a digital effects artist, said that the picture is spectacular with Adelphia's digital cable. I know I had read here in the past that most people thought the problems weren't necessarily inherent with digital, but just that the cable companies were squeezing too much into the space by using heavy compression.
I just cancelled my Netflix membership and was thinking about throwing the extra $20 into a STARZ/ENCORE package.
Any thoughts?
------------------
sig.jpg

Willy K

Auditioning
Adelphia cable better than Directv???? Wow, sure as hell not here in Buffalo, NY. Having had both I would still be hooked
up to a dish if not for where I live. Adelphia has the typical cust. service...Horrid, Horrid. Digital in Buffalo can in no way compare to a dish, not even the onscreen guide. As far as pricing goes it costs me a $100 bucks a month. How ever that is for everything they offer including Powerlink, their cable modem service which is well...Horrid also. Oddly price wise I don't feel too put out though because of having a cable modem, when it works. So it really equates to $60.00 bucks a month for fully loaded digital cable, which I feel is ok. Priority # 1 for me is the NHL Center Ice package which oddly the cable company can offer but Dish Network can't, at least until the 2002/2003 season. But I for one will gladly tell Adelphia to stick it again as soon as I move. I would rather pay more for a fully loaded dish package than deal with the wal-mart level of service I get from Adelphia. Nuff said? C YA

Jim Douglas

Second Unit
Jason,
I'll revive this post by saying I picked up an Adelphia digital cable box yesterday. I've been thinking about getting a dish but thought I might give this a try just to see. Overall it looks very good. I watched two movies last night on the HBO and SHO feeds and they looked very good. All I know is right now it looks alot better than the regular cable I had. Overall pretty happy so far.
Later
Jim
------------------

Jason Merrick

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Merrick
Thanks for the info Jim, that's exactly what I was looking for... their service leaves something to be desired though, I filled out the form on their website to have a rep contact me regarding digital cable and I got a form letter back stating digital cable was not yet available in my area.... funny, my next-door neighbor has had it for months, and I've had at least 2 different salesmen come to the door to offer it to me... go figure!
Thanks again for all your comments guys.
------------------
sig.jpg

Jim Douglas

Second Unit
I just went to the local office and signed up and picked everything up. In this area I've had very good luck getting service when needed. I've heard alot of cable company horror
stories but I've been very lucky.
Later
Jim

Jim Douglas

Second Unit
Jason,
I was already an Adelphia customer so there where no other fees. I had standard cable and just upgraded to digital package. Got a Motorola converter,remote,some hookup cables and some installation guides and owner manuals. Brought it all home and hooked it up and it takes about 1/2 hour for all the programming to download. That was it,quick and painless. :) If you have anymore questions let me know.
Later
Jim
------------------

Han

Second Unit
I've only had it for about three weeks in Sterling, VA. Overall, it's pretty good. I don't much care for the picture quality of any SD level broadcasts be it analog cable, digital cable, satellite, or over the air, so my expectations weren't too high. It was really a matter of quantity over quality. The picture is most of the time pretty clean and sound is good when pumped through Logic-7 or straight up unenhanced. I'd assume Pro-Logic II would do just as good a job as Logic-7 if not better.
The outputs on my General Instruments box were only either RF or composite + stereo RCA. It's weird, on the front it specifically has a Dolby Digital logo, and on the back (I recall) there are slots for an optical and S-Video connections, but both were closed off without connectors. So, I guess only the DD 2.0 or less kind. I asked the installation guy if I could get a box with such ports, and he gave me a blank stare and suggested I use the RF jack. I've emailed the customer service, and no replies.
I know there are a couple of other people from Loudon County, VA here. Do you know if it's possible to get a box with better connections?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks