What's new

Any jazz trumpet fans out there? Where do you rate Chris Botti? (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Just a curiosity question. As a former trumpet player, I have always liked jazz trumpet, though my collection of recordings is somewhat limited. In any event, I picked up the Chris Botti Night Sessions CD and SACD in the past couple of weeks and really like his sound as well as the music. Botti doesn't display technical virtuosity on the album in my opinion, but his sound is wonderful. I know that Botti has a few other CDs out there, but I haven't heard them. Does he show more technical ability on the other albums? Also, where do you rate Botti with other jazz trumpet players, past and present?

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I've heard Chris Botti play with Tony Levin, Chris Torn, and Bill Bruford on the doube live album called BLUE Nights. He mainly provides atmosphere and coloring. No, his playing isn't flashy, but it's not supposed to be. He does his thing very well.

Chris Madalena

Stunt Coordinator
Pardon my bluntness, and I'm no jazz snob, but his other albums pretty much suck. All he does is the Miles thing with the mute. And the music is, well, hot tub jazz.

I will give him some credit though as he's in Sting's band. There's a tune or two on the "All This Time" dvd where he has some nice solos.

I recommend Mark Isham. He has a couple of nice cd's out. He also does the Miles routine (I'm not complaining, really!!) but his musicality is a lot better in my opinion. I guess it helps that he's a film composer, and the fact that he plays w/Joni Mitchell as well.

I should mention that I've not heard Botti's newest. I, like you Mike, think he does his thing pretty well, but there seems to be a bunch of guys that tend to go down that same road.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Botti did make a name for himself playing with pop and rock acts.

Btw, Isham also played with Torn, Levin, and Bruford on David Torn's solo album Cloud About Mercury. Highly recommended.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
As a trumpet player, you've probably heard of Maynard Ferguson. I know he was an idol of sorts to all aspiring squealers that I knew (including myself :)). How I got into other jazz is branching from Maynard - he was in Stan Getz' band if I recall correctly and went from there.
Wynton Marsalis is hit-or-miss. I've heard a few jazz tunes that were strong but the rest of it was the jazz 'fusion' that I've grown to really dislike. He and classical music: perfect match.

Edit: Sorry about being blind; Chris Botti - I've never heard of him. The only person that I recognize that he's worked with is Bruford. Would you say Night Sessions is his best work?

Chris Madalena

Stunt Coordinator
Ever hear of Jon Faddis? I'm pretty sure he can hit 'em higher than Maynard. He studied with dizzy for a long time. Check out the movie "The Gauntlet" w/Clint Eastwood. That's Faddis screeching all of those notes in the soundtrack.

Wallace Roney is real good too. He played with my hero Tony Williams for many years. I believe he studied w/Miles for a time. I know he has one of his trumpets--the black, engraved one.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Oh yeah - Jon Faddis' Into The Faddisphere was inspriation as well, trying to get that first section down...ouch. :D

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Wallace Roney is real good too. He played with my hero Tony Williams for many years. I believe he studied w/Miles for a time. I know he has one of his trumpets--the black, engraved one.
I caught Wallace Roney play here in Boston with his brother on sax and Lenny White in the band. It was pretty good. They started with a long fusiony number; it was sketchy. They got better once they jumped into some classic jazz.

I don't know if Roney studied with Miles, but I do know that he performed with the members of Miles Davis' second quintet (Williams, Carter, Hancock, Shorter).

Williams is one of my favorite drummer too, btw. The lineup with him in it is my favorite of all the Miles stuff.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. Botti may not be a technical master, but Night Sessions gives good, smooth music. As I said, I love the sound. I particularly like track 3, "Streets Ahead".

As a former trumpet player, I am definitely familiar with Maynard, Marsalis, Isham, and Faddis. I have a number of Marsalis CDs and two of his SACDs. I also have the Faddis Rememberances DAD on the Chesky label. Unfortunately, I have no Maynard or Isham CDs. I should pick some up. By the way, I've always liked Wynton. One reason certainly is because he was starting to make a name for himself in the '80s when I started playing. I always appreciated the fact that he could handle both jazz and classical with aplomb. I also saw his jazz group perform in New York City in 1987, and I met him that night outside the concert hall before the performance. He was very pleasant, and he gave an outstanding performance.

By the way, what do you guys think of Terence Blanchard? I've been thinking of picking up the Let's Get Lost SACD. Also, what about Chet Baker?

James RD

Supporting Actor
Ah, Terence Blanchard. He is one of my favorites. "Let's Get Lost" is quite good. Various female vocalists (Krall, Monheit, Reeves and Wilson) singing songs by Jimmy McHugh plus a few instrumentals. Great stuff.

I would strongly recommend "Jazz in Film" and "Wandering Moon". I think he's the best trumpet player around right now.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
James,

Thanks for the suggestions regarding Blanchard. I too am intrigued by the "all-star cast" on Let's Get Lost, especially the contribution by Diana Krall.

Mike,

Good suggestions there. I'm surprised that no one, myself included, had mentioned Louie Armstrong. The discussion has focused mainly on more modern players.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks