What's new

Another way to turn power on/off on a PS2? (1 Viewer)

Rob N

Agent
I finally took the PS2 we got the kids for Christmas off the floor and installed it into our entertainment center. The problem is now it is very difficult to get to the back of the machine and flip the switch to turn it on/off. Is there another way to turn the system on/off beside that one switch? Is there a "standby mode" or would a PS2 DVD remote work?

Ken Ingram

Stunt Coordinator
I hooked my Ps2 power cord to my reciever so when I turn off my Reciever the Ps2 powers off/on

Michael Hudson

Stunt Coordinator
To put the unit in standby hold the top button for a few seconds and the color will switch to red. That way you do not have to turn the powere on and off from the back. :)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Before you have to ask, putting it in "Standby" mode doesn't drain any power other than what it takes to keep the LED on.

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Why aren't we supposed to use the switch at the back? I use it everytime I'm finished playing. Will something happen to my system if I use it? My friend who bought the system on launch day does the same as me... and nothing has happened to his system.

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
Like receivers and amps, it's not always best to completely power down the unit. The switch on the back completely discharges the AC from the PS2 and it is recommended that you switch the unit off if you don't plan to use it for a prolonged period of time. However, it is general better for components to be left in "standby" since continuous "charging" and "discharging" may shorten the life of the power supply. (similar to the extra wear and tear on an automobile when starting the engine)

Standby keeps your capacitors charged but shots off power to the main processing board of the PS2. It's generally considered "healthier" for your PS2 if you keep it in standby most of the time.

Elbert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks