What's new

"And Now A Word From Our Sponcer": Brady Bunch at its WORST! (1 Viewer)

Jack Platt

Stunt Coordinator
Guys,

There is a lot to say from Brady officials like us about this episode and most all of it is negative. This episode is very hard to watch because the character of Skip Farnum is so out of place it is nauseating. Everyone overacts terribly and you can see the disgust in Robert Reed's face and anger about this episode in Barry's Growing Up Brady book!

Here is another tidbit, the script editor for this episode was Tam Spiva, a friend of Reeds. Given Reed's influence on scripts and storylines and Mr. Spiva's obvious input think of how bad this script could have been if Mr. Spiva had NOT been involved! The original memo for the script taken from Growing Up Brady has Mike or Carol talking to an advertising executive about something in a phone conversation. This did not make the final script so it was obviously edited. I can see why Reed hated this episode! I didn't believe it for one second when they did the "Safe" v.s "Best" judging for the first time and Alice forgot which pile of clothes she washed with which detergent. I also agree with Reed that no family of nine would allow their kids to damage their own clothes or themselves by getting dirty to the point of overkill. I don't know what the writers were smoking when they did this episode. It is SOOOO bad! Their is only one episode that is worse and one that I won't even watch when the DVD comes out, "Your Never Too Old" (Grandparents (a.k.a Mike and Carol in Junior High School Make Up) Visit) ARRGGHHHHHH!!!!

Jack

Bill>Moore

Second Unit
Yeah, the "You're Never Too Old" episode is one that I never fail to skip. The "Sponsor" ep is annoying, but the former is worse.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
I think Alice's September Song is the worst episode and I never watch it (and I like Alice).

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I had forgotten just hopw bad the "Sponsor" epsiode was until I started watching it on the DVD. About the 10 minute mark, I hit the skip button. Uggh! There's several in the 5th season I dislike almost as much.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Well, I must be in the minority, as I just love this episode, just for the cheesy guest characters of Skip Farnum and Myrna Carter. And who can ever forget Alice's "spaghetti" hairdo? Chill out, guys- after all, it is The Brady Bunch!!

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
I think one of the highlights of this episode is at the beginning where you get to see the Bradys "on location" in the real world at the supermarket parking lot--instead of a fake studio set and "astro turf".

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob

I like this episode too, but that's nothing - I also like Cousin Oliver! :b

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
This isn't one of the better episodes, but it's certainly not the worst. That would be the Shirley Temple episode in season 5. Yecch.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
For somewhat prejudicial reasons, I have to like this episode because it features Bonnie Boland as Myrna the method actress. Anyone who has seen her zealous performance as an abusive mother in the just-released DVD of THE CANDY SNATCHERS would understand my affection for this actress.
However, I must express timely frustration that, in keeping with my fondness for Boland, not one of the six episodes in the just released best-of DVD of "CHICO AND THE MAN" feature her in her recurring character of Mabel the mail carrier.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
As far as I'm concerned, there are only three levels of quality to THE BRADY BUNCH episodes:

Bad, worse, worst.

I'm very, very curious now to see if someone can name one single episode that's really good -- well written, intelligent, true to life, well acted, funny ...

No, I'm curious to see if someone can name one single episode that isn't BAD. I'll settle for "not bad," "fair," "adequate" -- never mind "good."

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Joe,

You sound like you're channeling Robert Reed. :) :)

The Brady Bunch is what it is. Expecting an episode with great true to life drama is like expecting to laugh it up when watching The Godfather.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Well, I've always thought that the 4th season three-part Hawaii adventure was the best story the show ever did. Paramount should've released it separately on DVD as a feature-length special with behind-the-scenes extras!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks