What's new

Anamorphic The Last Emperor & Farewell, My Concubine! (1 Viewer)

Peter Jue

Stunt Coordinator
For all fans of Bertolucci's The Last Emperor, you can ditch the region 1 DVD with the horrendous transfer and step up to the region all Korean DVD! It contains the longer director's cut on disc 1 and the theatrical cut on disc 2. The director's cut is anamorphic; the theatrical cut may also be anamorphic. Check it out at DVDAsian or http://www.music-plaza.com/proview.asp?id=6074&red2=yes
Also, fans of Farewell, My Concubine will also want to ditch their Miramax DVD's. The Korean DVD is also anamorphic (and has English subs), although neither DVDAsian or Pokerindustries have it for sale yet. Music Plaza is selling it, but I've never ordered from them before. Get it at http://www.music-plaza.com/proview.asp?id=6089&red2=yes
For anime fans, Ghost in the Shell has also been given special treatment on Korean DVD. It is a 2 DVD set with the movie on disc 1 (progressive anamorphic transfer) and the extras on disc 2. According to this AoD thread, it appears the Korean DVD has the better transfer over Manga's region 1 DVD. DVDAsian is also selling this at http://www.dvdasian.com/cgi-bin/dvdasian/13202.html

Jay Blair

Second Unit
Peter, thanks for sharing.

Just placed my order for LAST EMPEROR from DVDAsian.

Now if I could just get my hands on the director's cut of THE CONFORMIST (with English subs)...

And, OK, I'll be greedy, how bout 1900 and TRAGEDY OF A RIDICULOUS MAN as well, while I'm at it.

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
Jay, let us know if it's as good as it seems. I notice that the DVD (Last Emperor, which is the one I am interested in) is ALL region. Doesn't MPAA get all bend out of shape on this ?

Peter Jue

Stunt Coordinator
It's supposed to be coded Region 3 for Korea, but certain Korean DVD companies have been lax about it or have actually coded it for both Region 3 and Region 1.

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
Jay, let us know if it's as good as it seems. I notice that the DVD (Last Emperor, which is the one I am interested in) is ALL region. Doesn't MPAA get all bend out of shape on this
I don't think the MPAA's jurisdiction extends to Korea. Although, I'm sure it would like it to be so :)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
How is the quality of the Korean Last Emperor disc? Has anyone actually seen it?

- Steve

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
Thanks for posting this! I would've never known about it otherwise. Maybe now I can retire my LD of Farewell, My Concubine. :)
-Dave

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
But selling here is under their "influence", and I suppose they can get nasty about it.
Why? Can they control what individuals do in their own home by importing DVDs from overseas for personal use? Seems rather draconian, to me, if not a violation of your first amendment rights.

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
You may want to contact your local Congresspeople, as 17 U.S.C. § 602 has been in effect since 1976.
Not living in the US, that would be somewhat difficult :)
In any event, I don't think anyone here is seeking to import the DVD for anything other than their personal use, hence my query on why the MPAA would be an issue.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
So, what is the quality of the actual Last Emperor discs? Anyone?

- Steve

James Nguyen

Second Unit
Just a bit of feedback on Music Plaza---

they're a fairly large, somewhat famous Korean CD store based out of Los Angeles, CA. Their presence online has grown a good deal over the past few years and has since expanded to start selling stuff besides just cds (I've seen like video games, dvds, video tapes popping up there in the past year or so).

I've shopped w/ them for years now--have always gotten my items in a timely manner and in excellent packaging. The few times I've had minor issues (related to the USPS's handling of my packages), the guys that I spoke with on the phone were very accomodating.

I'd definitely have no qualms about recommending MP to other HTF regulars as I can't imagine they'd be any less professional in their handling of DVD sales as they would be with their Korean cds.

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
>>In any event, I don't think anyone here is seeking to import the DVD for anything other than their personal use, hence my query on why the MPAA would be an issue.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
I am pretty sure there is more tho the story, as just recently, a streaming movie website (for $1 a movie, I think), was first shutdown in Taiwan and then again in Iran, so I suppose there are things and people that "we" (the copyright owners) can lean on, even if they operate in one of the "evil axis"
Those actions were illegal in their country of origin to begin with. I've been assuming thus far that the DVD imports we're discussing have been legally made under the laws of their country of origin.
DJ

Guy Martin

Second Unit
Going back to the DVD itself, has anyone seen The Last Emperor? This is one of my all-time favorite films and I'd love to replace my Artisan DVD with something not sourced from a Betacam master. What about the supplements? The DVD Asian site metions "Interviews and additional footage". Who's interviewed and what do they mean by "additional footage" is this in reference to the additional scenes in the director's cut, or are there deleted scenes that do not appear in either version?

I am soo close to running down to Koreatown to Music Plaza's store to pick this up!
- Guy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks