What's new

Anamorphic edition of "Thunderbolt and Lightfoot" in Denmark! (1 Viewer)

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
http://www.dvdarkivet.no/review.php?dvdID=1113858851

Scroll down and you'll see that it says "16:9 anamorphic 2.35:1".

Can any of our Danish members translate this:

BILDEKVALITET
Med tanke på at filmen er over tredve år er det virkelig gjort en knalljobb med restaureringen bildemessig. Undertegnede hadde tidligere vhs-utgaven, og jeg kan trygt si at bare siden den er det et betraktelig bedre bilde. På grunn av oppussingsarbeidet er det også lettere å se noe av det kornete grumset fra gammelt av, og bildet blir ikke så rent som det først virker som. Men alt i alt er det gjort en svært god jobb på dette punktet.

All other DVDs of this film are NON-anamorphic 2.35:1, so it is great to finally see this brilliant movie with - hopefullu - a decent anamorphic transfer.

Does anyone have this Danish edition?

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm confused slightly by this review:

"Thunderbolt and Lightfoot is given the 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen treatment, the majority aspect ratio of Cimino and he uses it well throughout the film. However on this DVD the condition of the print is decent and beautiful most of the time but there are times of constant graininess and a speckle every once in a while that for most of the way is few and far between but comes across mostly in the darker scenes. The daytime scenes don't suffer too much but it does have a bit of that seventies haze that is evident amongst movies around that time. It keeps a balance but the end result is average."

I'd always thought the R1 was non-anamorphic; that review is from February this year - has it been re-released?

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Very strange. The cover that Christopher Bligh at DVD Authority has on his review exactly the same as the old cover. If MGM had created an anamorphic transfer, wouldn't they have got Cimino, Clint and Bridges in for interview, commentaries, etc for a SE? This looks like a lazy, template-review to me, where, for whatever reason, a DVD comes up for review and is either not reviewed or is skimmed over and is labeled as anamorphic. The current R1 is definately NON-anamorphic.

But I could belive that the Danish disc is anamorphic. I have the Danish disc of They Shoot Horses, Don't They? which has an excellent, high-bitrate, anamorphic 2.35:1 transfer and the packaging is mostly in English. Denmark and Sweden often come up with excellent DVD editions of films not available in the rest of Europe, or have discs with superior transfers.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Actually, it's in Norwegian not Danish.;) It says that "considering the film is 30 years old the restored picture looks excellent", something to that effect. "There's still some dirt here and there, but all in all, it's a good clean-up job". :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks