What's new

Amp question (1 Viewer)

Brad_klein

Auditioning
Hi guys im kinda new to this hobby I've been a beginner for a bunch of years and did car stereo for about 10. My problem is I bought a JBL 5.1 speaker system about 5 years ago and the sub isnt powered your supposed to hook it up to the rear speakers. It never sounded right it was always to low but i dealt with it. Now I want to hook everything up right to go with my new TV, I have a small room so I plan on putting the sub in the attic and firing through a AC vent (I have vaulted ceilings) and plan on using my JBL 8" sub because everyone ive talked to said it is better to have an amp in my rack then a powered sub in the attic, but none of them can advise my on a decent amp. Im looking for something that has decent power but I would like to keep the price under $300 but I dont want to replace it in a couple years cause its junk.

Any advise would help

Sorry so long

Brad

rob-h

Second Unit
You are not going to get much out of 5 year old 8" jbl HTIB sub to begin with. Even less with it firing through a ac vent from the atic. If you are willing to spend up to 300 on
a amp, spend 120 more and grab a SVS pb10. Place it in room and you will enjoy it much more.

Brad_klein

Auditioning
Ok what room would I put the sub in cause there isnt any room where the TV is????? Thats the main reason im putting it in the attic.

Why would it have a hard time coming through a ac vent it would be like putting a grill over it im not just gonna toss the box up there I plan on having it right at the vent and sealed off to the attic so it would be like it was in the room anyway.

Thanks for the advice but thats not an option

Brad

rob-h

Second Unit
A grill over a sub is usually acoustically trasparent. An AC vent is going to reflect some of the bass energy back into the atic. It wont be good at all. An 8" sub is generally not good for HT to begin with, but a 5 year old HTIB sub will be pretty horrible. I will bet you that it wont handle much power at all. The MiniVee is a 8" sub but packs a 1000watt amp. Even then, it cant go past 28hz. There are people that run infinite baffles with atic installs. Thats your best bet if you dont have any room inside the room.

Brad_klein

Auditioning
Yeah the sub isnt the greatest but it will do the job for now if i dont like it i will replace it, but i still want the amp in the rack not in the attic.

Brad

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks