What's new

AMD Sales Tops Intel (1 Viewer)

brentl

Senior HTF Member
HEy, AMDs products have rivaled Intel's for a while now, and it's good to see things change

Brent

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
man, so that means that AMD is going to be the big evil corporation and Intel will be the underdog to root for? :D

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Haha, I was always rooting for who had the best video encoding performance. At the same price point, AMD finally edged out Intel by a good margin with the release of the 3800+ X2. Plus, as a life-long Intel user, I bought two AMD systems in my house this month (one new HP and one an upgrade) and couldn't be happier.

Glad to see AMD come out on top. With all the contracts Intel has, this is pretty surprising.

Joe D

Supporting Actor
When I built my computer, CPU choice came down to three things.

AMD runs cooler.

AMD was way cheaper.

AMD outperforms in gaming situations.

For me it was an easy choice.

That's what I thought as well when I read the yahoo article.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
that's the misleading part about the article, the contracts are not taken into account. amd is not even close to intel's sales overall.

CJ

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
ah nice catch. I hear Intel has contracts with governments worldwide, which is hard to compete with.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
it wasnt really my catch, i just read about it on slashdot. it would have been the first thing i looked for though, dell ships a LOT of PCs every year, and they are a huge customer of intel. no way amd could compete with that.

maybe it is good for amd that they are way behind intel's numbers. their performance doesnt seem to be affected by it. just ask my dual opteron MONSTER sitting next to my desk. :)

CJ

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
I'm running a system with an Abit AB-KT7A-RAID motherboard and the AMD Athlon 1.4 GHz "Thunderbird" CPU slightly overclocked to 1.664 GHz with an oversized CPU cooler.

Works for me so far in Windows XP Professional (SP2)! :emoji_thumbsup: Things seem to go quite fast, even when loading all of OpenOffice 1.1.6 at once. :)

I think AMD has really done well lately with their excellent Athlon 64 and Opteron 64-bit CPU's.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
I think where we'll see AMD really shine will be the Media Center HTPC market, if it takes off. They're already the favorites of DIY HTPCers, by a large margin.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks