What's new

Amazing speech on the Daily Show last night (1 Viewer)

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
Did anyone here see the Daily Show last night? It was the first time they had shown an original show since September 11th. The segments were re-runs, but John Stewart gave one of the best speeches about the attack that I have heard so far. I have been trying to find the text of it on-line but to no avail.
The most memorable quote for me was when he said (roughly) "The view from my apartment used to be the World Trade Center towers. But now the view is of the Statue of Liberty."
-Max

Sean Cauley

Stunt Coordinator
I saw this, quite by accident, because I had no idea they had a new show scheduled for last night. I hope to catch a rerun (it usually airs the following night at 7, at least, and maybe even at 7 on Monday) to soak it in again.
I agree that it was possibly the best speech I've seen from a media/entertainment figure since the events last week. To tell the truth, it's the first thing that finally broke the dam for my grief--I've had wet eyes and a lump in my throat at many of the things I've seen over the past ten days, but his words helped me to really let go and get it out.
If you get a chance to catch a rerun this weekend, be sure and have a hanky handy. If you just want to read the remarks, someone has transcripted them over at Ain't it Cool News (there's an article in the Coaxial News section about TDS's return, and someone quoted Jon Stewart's remarks in talkback, and the transcript is also featured in Moriarty's column about the 9-11-01 attacks).
Max, the part you paraphrased is (according to the ain't-it-cool transcript):
The view from my apartment was the World Trade Center . . . and now it's gone. They attacked it. This symbol of American ingenuity, and commerce, and imagination, and it is gone. But you know what the view is now? It's the Statue of Liberty. The view from the south of Manhattan is the Statue of Liberty. And you can't beat that.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I'll have to catch the rerun as well since I thought the Daily Show was taking the whole week off. I usually tape the Daily Show and Politically Incorrect and watch them before I go to work in the morning. (Side note: I miss Vance DeGeneress).
Since the thread is closed I'll say here what I wanted to say over in the PI thread. I don't always agree with Bill, but I've always respected his honesty. I agreed with what he said the other day about what was our government policy to just lob missiles at problems rather than face them man to man, and I think it''s ridiculous that the zealouts jumped all over what he said just to create controversy, when they were absolutely silent when the drivel espoused by Ann Coulter, Jerry Fallwell, and Pat Robertson came to light last week.
This is still America. We still have a right to our opinions. God help us that we don't go back to the McCarthyism of the last century. We would be no better than the Taliban.
------------------
These chicks know how to party! - MoJo JoJo

Ian_Fisher

Stunt Coordinator
I agree that Jon Stewart's speach last night was SO touching. Between Dave Letterman and him, it's been a very touching week for late-night TV.
Not that Leno didn't do a fine job, and I didn't see Conan, but my sister said it was good. I was just SO moved by The Late Show and the Daily Show.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
That was remarkable. I can honestly say that John's speech was the most memorable and heartfelt expression I have heard regarding this issue. I think he represents the absolute pinnacle of journalistic integrity in my mind.
His words have caused me to get to tears, the first time I have since the sky started falling.
No better words can be spoken.
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

------------------
Bombardment Society - Member

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I was listening to Howard Stern on the way to school in my friend's car and he was saying that Leno did a bad job with his speech. Leno just doesn't have the "regular guy" feel that you get from Letterman or Jon Stewart. I only saw Letterman's speech, so I can't say any of the others were good or bad, I'm just saying that Letterman's speech felt so authentic. Stewart can do a good job if he tries, and the speech is really good, so I assume he did an excellent job with it.
Yes, TV has been very emotional, and with all the singers singing songs on the telethon, its probably not going to change.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Morgan, check the link that Cal gave. They have a 56k and broadband stream of the whole thing. I recommend.
------------------
Bombardment Society - Member

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
I think it's interesting that the two most cynical NY residents, Jon Stewart and David Letterman, gave probably the two best WTC speeches anyone has given. I have to say that Stewart's speech is so far the only speech about this tragedy that I've found moving, partially because I'm a lifelong Daily Show fan :) and partially because it was a great shock to see him near tears, which is something I'd never thought I'd see.
Thankfully they didn't run this into the ground; Stewart kept it short and to the point, and instead of doing sappy montages, they ran some great clips from previous episodes (oh, how I laughed again rewatching the Peter Jennings and Dody clips...Vance Degeneres, please come back!). This just reconfirms my suspicions that The Daily Show is the most entertaining late-night show today.
------------------
Have you ever noticed anyone driving slower than you is an idiot? And anyone driving faster than you is a maniac!! - George Carlin
ICQ: 55259446 (or just search for "John Shaft"...can you dig?)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks