What's new

Amateur (Ham) radio and SDRs (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I don't talk much about my work but up until about 5 years ago a lot of it was working with Software Defined Radios (SDRs). I'm a software guy so that's the angle I entered the space, not from the Radio Frequency (RF) / electronics space that most in the industry were coming from. At that time all the SDRs were pretty much custom bespoke proprietary units, and everything was hush hush from one manufacturer to another.

They'd absolutely lose their shit if they saw the SDR industry that exists today, where the biggest innovations are happening in hacker spaces and using Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) / open hardware. =)

I've recently ordered a Great Scott HackRF One board and the enclosure kit for it, and I'm looking forward to messing around with that to see how far things have come.

In getting back into RF I'm also noodling with finally getting my FCC Amateur certs

And getting a good quality transceiver and antenna for my home and either a mount for my truck or a handheld.

Noodling possibly an Icom 7300:

Icom 5100:

Just started looking into HTs:

Anyone got experience in this arena with advice for noobs?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Well the callsign came through and it’s a mouthful (KC3SQW). Definitely putting in for a 1x3 tonight and will monitor 1x2 once I hit Extra. Hopefully the vanity comes through before I get the antenna wires run through my house

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Our Miata club switched from CB radios to HAM/FM handheld radios about a year ago. Members can purchase any HAM/FM radio they like (as long as it supports the club's frequencies). The most popular handheld radio (among members) is the Baofeng UV-82HP. Since our club is a not-for-profit corporation, we were able to get a single HAM license for the club that covers all club members when the radios are used during club events.

The UV-82HP offers close to the same range as our experience with CB and virtually no noise (CB has gotten noisy as hell). Many members have added a longer 3rd party antenna to their handhelds, which increases range a fair bit. Other members have added a magnetic mount external antenna which increases range well beyond what we achieved with CB radios.

We are happy campers with our new radios!

Mark

Last edited:

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Never been much my thing even during the early 70's CB boom, but always seem to end up buddies with a bunch of these folks through the decades,

Since this isn't that far away, I'm always heard about this as one of the biggest meets of the year -- coming up this weekend apparently.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
50-50 it snaps :)
EED3E225-8B3D-4D15-96C6-EDBBDC409CAC.jpeg
89B01247-91A1-4A42-88AC-4B3B7566F0EB.jpeg
778129B3-42CA-468A-A8AD-215933D68F89.jpeg

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
They do! A lot!

BTW this podcast episode gives a really concise breakdown of the differences between commercial and ham radio capabilities from zero to hero.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks