What's new

Alas, poor Denon 3200, I knew him well... (1 Viewer)

David A. Frattaroli

Stunt Coordinator
That's right folks. Denon has given my beloved 3200 it's last rites and is sending me a brand spankin' new 3801. Not a bad updgrade. I can now sell my Millennium 2.4.6 since the 3801 has DTS built in.

I'm also happy about having pre amp outs for all channels.

Just felt like gloating. Thanks.

Christian Speights

Stunt Coordinator
David...how'd you swing that? I don't imagine the 3200 is under warranty still, is it? Even with a service agreement, you would not go through the manufacturer...would you?

As a fellow 3200 owner, I'm curious...intrigued even.

I'm dying to know.

David A. Frattaroli

Stunt Coordinator
Joseph, talk about raining on my parade! Yes, I realize there is a 3802 but I don't think it replaced the 3801. Every line has a 1 and 2 model such as:1801,1802,2801,2802, etc. It lacks PLII and 5 watts per channel that is found on the 3802.

As far as how I "swung" it goes: Yes, the warranty is up. In fact, the customer service rep never even asked me. But I brought it Denon I myself to get fixed. They charged me $95 and sent it back as "fixed". However, the problem persisted. So, I drove it back a second time. This time they kept it for a whole month. When I got it back the second time, the center channel still broke up. So back it went via UPS on them. At this point, I called Customer service and explained what the problem was. After they heard that Denon had received my receiver for a third time he said it was "unacceptable" and that if it couldn't be fixed this time around they would replace it with a new model. Pretty solid treatment if you ask me. They should be shipping it on Tuesday.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
David,

good deal!

I own that piece,and it's a very solid receiver,as you would expect from Denon.

David A. Frattaroli

Stunt Coordinator
Jeremy, what would those other features be? According to the Denon web site, that seems to be all that is different. Plus, the "01" series haven't been discontinued so how can they have been replaced? Just curious.

Gil D

Supporting Actor
David,
The 3802 did replace the 3801 but you got a sweet deal. I am also an owner of a Denon 3200 and now running the 3801.
The 3802 does have some other changes that they mention on their website. Beside DPL2, and some limited adjustable xover freqs, Temp compensation and gain are couple of things I recall changed. Volume knob I think is now plastic. The 3802 also saves settings for each sound mode.
You may want to try asking Denon if you can trade the 3801 with a little extra cash for a 3802, or argue that it doesn't quite work as good as expected. Doesn't hurt to try when they aim to please :D

David A. Frattaroli

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info Gil. I may sell the 3801 as new, assuming it arrives sealed and buy a 3802 off Ebay. I'm really tempted to do that. But I'm also itching to have a receiver again after more than 3 months so I'll probably stick with the 3801.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks