What's new

Advanced audio, lossless, etc. on a lower end theatre setup (1 Viewer)

Ivy Mike

Agent
Real Name
Jordan
I'm curious if it's possible to discern between all the various audio codecs and output formats (DD+,TrueHD,PCM,DTS core,DTS-HD master, etc) on a $300-$400 home theater in a box system. I think I have a pretty good ear, but I'm wondering if objectively speaking there's no way I'd be able to tell the difference between all the various on a system that is lower end (well, not as low end as TV speakers...).

I ask this because I am wondering if I should really look to get a Blu-ray player with analog outs (since my receiver obviously has the inputs) or if I should just get the PS3. If I go for a player with analog outs I will probably go for the Samsung 1400 (considering the 2400). I don't have the exact stats on my speakers and receiver (both Sony) because they're being brought to me later this month from a relative, but they're a few years old, and were somewhere around $300-$400.

troy evans

Screenwriter
Alot of people Here have a PS3 and feel It's one of the best,if not the best Bluray player on the market.One thing to consider is the players on the market now may not conform to the new 1.1 spec through firmware alone.You may be better off waiting till Oct. when the 1.1 becomes standard on all bluray players where as TrueHD,DTS HD,etc. will be the standard in those machines that have the 1.1 spec. I know it can be hard to wait,LOL. To answer Your question, Yes there is a noticable difference between standard codecs 5.1 and DTS and the new Hi Def ones.Some would say It's not that much.I'll put it this way,Did You ever have a Dolby Pro Logic system back in the day and then move up to 5.1 digital?The difference is at least that great IMHO.

Ivy Mike

Agent
Real Name
Jordan
Found out it's a Sony STRDE485 400W receiver, which does have 5.1 analog ins for sure. Still sounds debatable whether or not I'll hear a difference...

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Here's a thought. Do you have access to an iPod or a similar player that produces sound with sampling rates in the area of 128-192 kbps? And if you do, can you connect it through your "HT in a Box" system and listen to the output of the iPod?

If the answer to the above is "Yes" then here's what I propose. Listen to some iPod (or similar) tunes and then listen to the output from a 5.1 SD DVD track. Can you tell the difference? (In other words, does the 5.1 SD track sound better than the iPod track?) I would think that you can tell which is the iPod sound and which is the SD 5.1 sound. If not, then you definitely will not hear a difference between "regular" 5.1 tracks and advanced audio codecs. But if 5.1 SD sounds better than iPod sound then there is a good chance (but not a certainty) that advanced audio codecs will sound even better through even a modest sound system. Remember, it's not all about the frequency of the sound but about the clarity of the sound which comes from higher sampling rates.

And remember this - when you purchase HD media (either format) you always have the option to use a "regular" (kpbs) soundtrack so think of it as purchasing software for use on your future hardware while still enjoying what you have today.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks