What's new

Adjust pilot light on hydronics water boiler or turn it off? (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
As some of you know already, I have an old ~20years old water boiler for a hot water baseboard heat. It's about the time of year in NJ that I don't need heat anymore and I will be working on my boiler to replace the pressure relief valve and a slightly leaky boiler drain valve. But my question here is for the non-heat needing months, do you recomend to turn off the pilot light or to adjust it to a very low level? I believe the previous owner turned it off one year and this promotes rust due to condensation, humidity, etc. etc. I could adjust the flame lower (and of course, shut off the pump and relay) and just leave that run. thoughts?

Jay

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
You're the SOB with the super low electric bill!! Well, if your hot water comes from a tankless system because it's part of a heat exchanger system within the boiler, I'd just leave it alone. Other than that, just turn it down. When you finally get around to draining the water and flushing the system, keep in mind there are additives you can add to your heating line that act as antifreezes as well as act to reduce scale. You could find them online or perhaps contact a competent heating outfit in your area.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I've seen those additives in Home Depot but considering the age of the pipes and boiler, wonder if it's going to real effective or worth it...

My boiler is not shared with the domestic hot water heater, so I can turn off the hydronics boiler at will.

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks