What's new

Adding a 5th IDE device - problems with additional controllers (1 Viewer)

Darren Lewis

Supporting Actor
I've got an ABIT VP6 dual P3 motherboard. This comes with an additional IDE controller built-in (The Highpoint HPT30) giving a maximum of 8 IDE devices and IDE ATA-100 RAID if wanted.

Great! I went and bought and additional 40Gb IDE drive last weekend. Connected it to the HPT370 and all was well. I also moved my LG DVD drive to the other channel of the HPT370 (Nero suggested that it would be better to have my source drive and CDRW on different IDE channels).

My configuration was as follows:-

IDE 1 Master 40Gb 7200RPM OS drive; Slave ZIP250

IDE 2 Master Sony CDRW

HPT370/1 Master 40Gb 5400ROM data/backup drive

HPT470/2 Master LG DVD drive (old)

Problems began:-

I use Drive Image to backup drives, and PartitionMagic to create partitions etc. Problems is that neither of these can see the drive on the HPT370 when booting into DOS to create images etc. DOS itself can see the drives but not DI or PM.

Windows 2000 now crashes!! When double clicking My Computer I get the hour-glass for ever. Problem solved when disconnect the DVD drive from the HPT370. The Highpoint website says that their contoller with the latest drivers does not support ATAPI devices.

I've moved the new 40Gb drive to the slave on IDE 2 so that DI and PM can see it OK.

Question is how do I get my old DVD drive back into my system? I don't use it for HTPC, but like to watch some of the extras etc when I'm working on my PC. The drive is region-free so is useful. I've got one PCI slot left and a Promise ATA100 TX2 card lying around. Will this work? Seems a shame to not use the HPT370 controller.

Is Norton Ghost any better, but I've seen a bad review of that on here recently.

Maybe should get an older SCSI DVD drive?

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Ok, now that we know that this is a compatibilty issue, maybe this MIGHT help. (Sorry for sarcasism).

I know that some devices won't work on the same line as certain others, and can't be the master or whatever else, so I'd try this.

Since you dont need the CD/DVD drives for backup (oh, the zip drive too), I'd start a list up and start swapping them out. Make a list or chart up to keep track of what you are doing, and you might luck out. With six devices for eight possible positions, you do have choices.

Glenn

Darren Lewis

Supporting Actor
Well, the problems seems to be that the HPT370 will only support hard drives and not CD drives (even if they are DMA). The other problems may be that the onboard HTP370 controller shares and IRQ with PCI slot 5 (where my soundcard is located).

Could be that the soundcard (SB PCI128) does not like to IRQ share too well.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Yep, that is messy. The IDE IRQ shouldn't be five. Mine are at 14 & 15, which I think is the default. Some bios' have settings to allow you to change them, but you'd have to make sure that nothing is occupying 14 & 15 first.

Glenn

Quinn Granfor

Auditioning
Definately MOVE the soundcard if it's in the pci slot that shares the irq with the hotpoint. In fact, don't put anything in that slot unless you HAVE too. The hotpoint is pretty finiky IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks