What's new

Ace Ventura Deluxe Double Feature - 9/5 (1 Viewer)

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
If you're an Ace fan, then pick this up! The new transfer of the first film is surprisingly good (MUCH better than the old widescreen R2) and the second film is notably improved over the old R1. The dts tracks aren't needed but nice to have anyway. I'll be keeping the old R1 disc for the dolphin trainer bit (love that scene) but this new set beats the previous DVDs hands down.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

this is the truth.

it was a good decision to leave it out of the movie when it played in theaters

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member

Correct. It isn't on the new disc because the new disc contains the original theatrical version which didn't include this scene. It was edited back into the movie for the first DVD. Strange then, that it wasn't put onto the new disc in any shape or form.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I thought I'd remember seeing it in theaters back in the early 90's. It was one of my favorite movies when I was a kid, but I know it was definitely included on the VHS release which I owned and watched hundreds of times, so it always seemed like part of the movie to me. I guess I don't really care eitherway as I'm not a big fan of Jim Carrey comedies anymore, but for nostalgic reasons, it would've been nice to include it as an extra or something. In fact, considering this is almost a bare-bones release, I'm not sure why it wasn't...

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
C'mon! What is the "dolphin trainer" scene?

Ive seen this once in theaters and I was in elementary school at the time. After that I saw it countless times on HBO/Cinemax.

What is this scene? I doesn't ring a bell. Can someone please describe it?

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
Thanks! Must have missed it being the last post on page 1.

Now Im feeling pissed like you guys are...that was one of the BEST scenes from the movie. That wasn't in the movie in theaters? Wtf!?

The last minute of that clip looks unfamiliar to me. Maybe that was extended for the TV version but on HBO I dont remember the very last part. Just him in the tank.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Yes the "Dolphin Trainer" portion starts when the reporters are all there and you see Ace look thru the window of the tank, then he gets out and hams it up in front of the reporters. I only ever remember seeing the movie with this sequence, so I really miss it. It's so short, they should have done seamless branching so one could chose to include it, or not. This particular movie I would prefer to have this scene, albeit in FS, vs. a WS version without it.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
I'll have to watch the trainer scene again on youtube some time. I thought it was funny on the VHS, and just realized, THAT's what they meant about "includes footage not shown in theaters" which I used to think was BS since it didn't include the footage shown in the broadcast version.

The DTS was a nice surprise, but did anyone else notice it seems like the DTS tracks were mastered WAY too hot! I never had to turn a movie down so low. Then again, I haven't checked the DD tracks for comparison. Maybe both movies are severely limited dynamic-range wise, or is it a mastering error? More input!

And I'll try to make a point to check the DD tracks. I remember the 2nd film having surprisingly excellent surround sound back in the day on VHS, so I wouldn't expect that one (which presumably had a bigger budget) to be sonically limited.

And I like having a few cartoons included. I found that series very funny back in the day. If you have never seen it, you'll probably get a chuckle at least.

It does seem strange to have such limited extras on a "deluxe edition," especially when the films themselves are so short. But they probably didn't want to pay anyone for the materials. Perhaps they'll make some money on this release, and use it toward extras on a future HD release, now that all the A/V mastery is out of the way. One expense already accounted for.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Well after wasting years of holding out for a widescreen version, I finally broke down and went with the original full screen release. Because I wanted my copy of the movie to include the Dolphin Trainer scene. I really hadn't been aware that the old DVD had it and that the new WS one, was not going to have it, until this discussion.

But you know, while I am not advocating MAR, this is a type of movie where the AR is really not that big of a deal, IMHO. Less of a deal than not having a scene one fondly remembers as part of the movie.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Well, I believe the FS version is open matte.

Maybe they wanted to go "original theatrical version" Star Wars style!

Oh wait, it wouldn't be anamorphic then would it? :)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

But he remembers/regards it as part of the movie. If that's important to him, then his choice makes sense...

Demis G

Second Unit
Real Name
Demetris G
Guys I got the DVD set yesterday and watched the 1st movie and I SAW the dolphin part.. where Ace is IN the empty tank, talking all Star Trek-ish and looking at the camera which actually is looking in the hole the water goes in and out of the tank... isnt that the scene that is reported to be missing?

the youtube video link (#40) is no longer active

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Demis, No. That scene continues on and the "Dolphin Trainer" portion starts when the reporters are all there and you see Ace look thru the window of the tank, then he gets out and hams it up in front of the reporters. Finally Roger herd the reporters away to Coach Shula's press conference.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks