What's new

A Shameful noobie H/K Question (1 Viewer)

James Sarno

Stunt Coordinator
Well....I'm almost ashamed to ask but...I'm finally upgrading the system (pics soon!)...I'm currently running with a H/K AVR-110 witch I love and have no problems with but...I want a little more power and analog imputs for DVD-Audio...
I'm looking at a HK AVR-235 (7X50 6.1channel) or the AVR-335 (7x55 7.1 channel)
Question...since my speaker set up will always stay in a 5.1 configuration (due to room size) what will be if any the advantage/disadvantages going with a 6 or 7.1 receiver

Thanks for letting me use up my one noobie question of the year:b

Greg Yeatts

Second Unit
James

There is no need to feel shame for liking the HK gear. They make wonderful products. I really liked the AVR 630, 525 and 520. I think that if you want to take a look at the 335 this is good.

I currently own an Pioneer 1014 TX-K. The Pioneer is a fabulous receiver. It performs well outside of its price class. Please give one a listen if you can.

Don't be afraid to look at other products, however, the HK products are very, very nice if that is what you want.

Benihana

Stunt Coordinator
well, you won't really gain anything except some extra features that you might not even use, like pIIx which mixes to 7.1 . However, as for the 1014tx, the extra 2 back channels can be used to bi-amp the front main speakers, i see that as a big bonus :).

Greg Yeatts

Second Unit
An advantage of the 7.1 channels of the 1014TX is that the two back surround channels can be used to bi-amp your left/right speakers if you only want 5.1. Also, the back channels can be used as channel B amplification for a second room. That is real flexibility.

Matt K P

Agent
well the real benefit is that most receivers are built around the power supply and that usually if you run every channel the receiver runs out of wattage. like this:
2 channels driven: 130 watts
5 channels driven: 115 watts
7 channels driven: 95 watts

so lets say you have only drive 5 channels, you may have a bit more power than if you ran the 7 like the receiver was designed for, and im speaking in terms of continuous and dynamic power.

The pioneer is a real winner though, i have tested almost every sub 1k reciever and it has the features you will actually use, without any need for the extra stuff that just takes up more space and adds more to your price tag. I have watched many movies on it and it makes my JBL E-series home theater sound like a movie theater.:)

James Sarno

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys...as always I learn something new everyday.
Greg...I've been looking at the HK AVR 335...looks like a winner, but as you and Matt suggested I will take a look at the Pioneer 1014 tx.
What is 1014 going for?

Matt K P

Agent
at bb it is 473, although etronics.com has a better deal, beware though, if you buy from an unauthorized dealer, pioneer may not honor the warranty, but if you buy the extended warranty anyway from the unauth. dealer then it really wont matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks