What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

A possible reason for the delay of Laura on DVD (1 Viewer)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
For what it's worth, someone who works at Fox says the reason for Laura's delay is the Vera Caspary estate which apparently wants a better financial deal.

Ms. Caspary wrote the story Laura which was the basis for the 1944 Otto Preminger film. If true, it may be why the 1949 Oscar winning Letter To Three Wives has yet to debut on DVD. It, too, is based on a Vera Caspary short story.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
yikes.
hate to hear that.

Letter To Three Wives is one of my most wanted Fox titles and while i would expect them to go to the trouble to hash out an arangment over Laura, i would have to wonder how hard they would work for ALTW.

on further thought- it seems odd to me that once a property has been paid for that this would crop up again.
music rights i understand,but this seems to be an altogether different kettle of fish (different medium and the work is adapted by another writer).

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
You'd think so, wouldn't you, Paul. It's not uncommon. Apparently legal hassles with the Cornell Woolrich estate is what kept Rear Window in limbo for several years.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
And let's not forget the fine folks over at the Damon Runyan estate that have managed to keep Abbott and Costello's "It Ain't Hay" out of circulation.

I am totally supportive of the rights of estates, but there is a difference between fair compensation and being greedy.

Thanks for the info Mr. T. Let's hope this can be worked out so this true classic can be released.

Steve

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
All the more reason to hang on to my LD as it looks like a forever & a day wait for "Laura" to be released, if ever. :frowning: :frowning: :angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks