What's new

A murder 200 yards from my house! (1 Viewer)

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
This happened near me a few weeks ago down a dirt road. We drove down there to "investigate" and got stopped by the police and had to answer a whole bunch of questions. We didn't mean to get that close, just to kinda drive near.

Matt Pasant

Second Unit
When I was a kid growing up... me and three buddies set out on a journey to see a dead body of a guy who we heard was hit by a train..

oh wait, that was Stand By Me...

Matt

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
An eldery neighbour, who's sons I went to school with, was killed at the end of our road by a group of asswipes when he tried to stop them ripping down someone's fence. The main pepertrator was a particularly nasty little shit who's entire existance seemed to revolve around making other people's lives a misery.

Unfortunately, he got off the murder charge and went to prison for a while on some crock-of-shit aggravated assault charge.

However, we did hear, that while in prison he was raped by a fellow inmate. Ouch. I hope he caught something terminal. Also, about a year or so later, another one of the scumbags drowned in a local canal. A fitting end.

Luis S

Supporting Actor
I got one...

Some years ago when I was still living with my folks,we were woken up by the sound of gunfire. Right behind our house! :eek: Turns out it was drug related. The guy in the house behind us apparently ripped somebody off or something so two guys came and killed him and his kid. The wife managed to get away and call for help if I recall. Now that was two close for comfort! The pair I believe were caught and convicted.

Luis S

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Murder close to your home is always a creepy thing.

My next door neighbor killed his wife by pushing her down the stairs. You're never safe no matter where you are.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I hear gunfire in the middle of the night about every couple of weeks and the local police helicopter is a regular visitor to our neighborhood.

A few weeks ago I was awakened by noises in my backyard--the cops searching for some scumbag or other.

I have news for you guys--I'm an auto mechanic by trade and cars pretty much don't backfire anymore. If you hear something you think is gunfire it probably is.

StephenA

Screenwriter
When I was a kid a teenaged boy that used to bully my friend and I, went to this woman's house and bound her up and killerd her. He then stole her car and repainted it, then went with friends to the local amusement park. The police caught him and he went to jail. After that I was afraid to walk to school because the house was on the walking route to my school.

During high school 5 years ago a couple girls in my grade were murdered brutally by a few punkass guys. A couple of them took off to Michigan, and were arrested for something else there. When the cops found out about what they did here, they were extradited(sp) back here. I believe all are in prison now.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
1) I used to work for a company that fixed restaurant equipment in New York City. Our office and shop was in the Bronx, but we covered all five burroughs. The week I started one of the guys was taking the trash out to the dumpster and noticed a foul odor coming from the weeds in the vacant lot next door. When he looked to see what it was so he could dispose of it, he realized it was a human head - badly decomposed in the summer heat. Mob guy. The cops found the rest of him (minus the hands, which never did turn up, AFAIK) in another vacant lot some miles away a few days later.

2) While working at the same company I got stuck late on the dispatch desk waiting for a report on a repair from one of our guys. Turns out he was detained by the police who were investigating the murder of Paul Castellano and his driver in the street in front of the restaurant where he was working - Spark's Steak House.

3) I got a call at home from a co-worker one Sunday morning, telling me that a young lady who also worked for the same hospital in Westchester County had been murdered the night before. Nobody had any other details. We both talked about how shocked we were. I then drove the thirty miles to my aunt's house in the Bronx, for a family dinner.

When I arrived my cousin was reading about a murder in the Sunday paper. A woman had been found stuffed into the trunk of her car in a public park. My cousin's next-door neighbor, a city cop, had worked the crime scene. The woman's name had not been released at press time, pending notification of the family.

Just then my father arrived. He had worked the night before at his second job as maitre d' at a catering house, also in the Bronx. Around midnight the cops had shown up to tell one of his waiters that the man's finacee had been in some kind of accident and could he come with them. My dad later got a call to come pick the kid up at the police station because he was too upset to drive himself home to Brooklyn. Turns out his fiancee hadn't been in an accident, she had been murdered.

I mentioned the murder of my co-worker in Westchester, and the whole thing seemed creepy, each of us having a tangential connection to a different murder on the same night.

After dinner we turned on the news and the lead story was about the murder of a young woman kidnapped from outside a club in Westchester and found murdered in the trunk of her car in a park just on the Bronx side of the Bronx/Westchester line. When they showed a picture of the woman and gave her name, I suddenly realized that we had each had a different connection to the same murder, because it was my co-worker's face. I don't think the case was ever solved.

Talk about six degrees...

Regards,

Joe

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
Damn, these tales are down right horrifying. I live in small town of about 6000 and the worst I've ever had near me was a suicide. There was an attempted murder once however. Some fugitive from god knows where was trying to make his way to Canada so he stopped at an older lady's house, shot her and stole her car. He got caught on his way to the border. I think I was in 5th grade at the time and I remember the whole town being on alert for this scum bag. So small towns do have advantages, however so slight. :D

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
Ok, here's a cool story-

During my freshman year in college, I arrived back to my dorm room after class. My roomate was watching a breaking-news story on tv about a father and son who just robbed a bank and were having a shoot-out with the FBI and the Police with maching guns and everything.

Roomate: "Dude, this kicks ass."

Me: "Yeah it's... wait a minute, that's only two blocks from my house! Holy Sh*t!"

Roomate: "Dude, this still kicks ass."

There were bullet holes all over the place and it was pretty freaky.

Unfortunately, I have no cool stories about living near Jeffery Dahmer.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
2 years ago there was a killing across the street from me; apparently some teenager didn't pay for his drugs and the dealer came after him. But his little brother opened the door and got shot instead.

When I was a freshman in college, the guy across the hall from me killed an old man; the dorm guy was drunk and pushing over vending machines and the old man, who I think owned the machines, came after him. When he grabbed on the student's car door, the driver took off and schmucked the old man into a wall.

Another Mark Zimmer in a nearby town killed his wife and cut her up into little pieces with a filleting knife. Whenever I go there and introduce myself I have to say, "I'm not him."

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I forgot to mention that I once sat next to a dead body on the subway in Stockholm. :eek: Not a murder though.

/Mike

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Ok I have one that I think competes with the best of the previous posts.

Many years ago there was this kid who lived across the street who was a car enthusiast. He a long with his good friend Carl (Carl is not his real name) would spend endless hours working on their cars. Of course they would also spend endless hours gunning their engines and burning rubber in the driveway.

One Sunday afternoon my dad and I were outside doing some yard work. Unfortunately the neighbor and Carl were up to their old trick of gunning their car engines and burning rubber. It seemed to go on and on, and finally some one in the neighborhood called the police to complain. By the time the police did showed up several of the men in the neighborhood were standing around talking to each other. The police officer approached them and asked if one of them would sign the complaint, like sheep they all declined. The officer then came over to my dad and asked if he would sign. "Gladly" is all I remember my dad saying has he signed the complaint.

The next morning it was all over the news that a triple homicide had occurred Sunday night just a few blocks away. It turns out that it was Carl's father, mother and grandfather. It was also reported that no one was in custody for the crimes.

Remember I was fairly young then and I lived in the suburbs where a major crime like murder rarely occurred. As day turned to night I was scared because there was a murderer on the loose. (Of course I now realize how silly that sounds). I should also point out that my dad had gone on business trip early Monday morning before the news of the murders so the he wasn't there to protect us.

Late Tuesday it was reported that Carl and a friend (not the neighbor kid) had been arrested for the crimes. It turns out that Carl decided to kill off his family right after having an argument with his father over the ticket he had received.

Carl was held without bail because it turns out that after he killed off his family he had made up a list of other people he wanted to deal with.

A few weeks after the arrest a police officer came over to the house and talked to my father. It turns out that my father and all of us had made Carl's list. On the list we were described as "ticket asshole and family". I didn't find out until a few years later that Carl had actually wanted to kill all of us; at the time my father only said that Carl was really mad at him.

To this day it kind of creeps me out that this triple murdered wanted to get us because he believed my father had wronged him. Fortunately Carl and friend were convicted and are still in prison.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Patrick:

No more calls please, we have a winner. :)

But I'll throw in a couple of more anyway ...

I was once shot at without result, and once nearly walked into a shoot-out - both times while in still college.

I had classmate who had a part-time job driving a cab on the graveyard shift. Sometimes I'd ride along for part of the night to keep him company, and so that we could quiz each other on class work. At the time there was a serious rivalry between his cab company and the local competition, and serious personal bad blood between the owners of the companies. About 2 o'clock one morning we got called out to an address way the hell out on the edge of town. When we arrived at the spot where the address should have been, we found an empty lot in between two abandoned buildings. We were both looking at a map, trying to see if we were in the right place, when a shot rang out and the windsheild spider-webbed. We hauled butt out of there. The consensus of opinion at the cab office was that somebody from the other cab company had lured my friend out there and fired a warning shot. I stopped riding along after that, and my friend quit his job a few weeks later when another cabbie had a hole shot in his cab.

Another time a bunch of us were in D.C. just hanging out with a classmate who lived there. We turned down an alley trying to take a short cut and the next thing we knew we were surrounded by SWAT types (two of us were actually grabbed and wrestled to the ground.) Turns out a militant group had taken over a building just down the block and were firing at pedestrians from the roof and the windows. SWAT had just arrived on scene and was setting up a perimeter when we blundered into the middle of things. If we'd been a little earlier we might have made the six o'clock news - as victims of sniper fire.

Regards,

Joe

KDHM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kim Donald Houde-Martens
I was walking on St.Marks Place in the East Village in NYC many years ago and from one of the trash cans I smelled a horrible smell just then two police came by and one of them took the lid off the trash can and a womans head fell out onto the ground at my feet. About a month later I was sunbathing on the old Hudson wood piers with a friend and smelled that same smell and shortly afterwords one of the bodies on the pier turned out to not sunbathing. Years later a good friend of mine that lived just a few blocks from where the piers used to be got a call at work that his room-mate had been murdered in his apt. by someone his room-mate had met alone the hudson and asked home, He said that the living room was covered in blood, the next-door neighbor was home at the time a said he did not hear anything, it was one of several gay killings that took place in the village in the late 80's and never solved.

Gregory

Grip
Does anyone remember the manhunt for the "Texas Seven"? They were found in a trailer park in Woodland Park, CO. They were first identified at a local convenience store in Woodland Park. I used to stop at that store on my way to work from Colorado Springs every morning. The next day the leader of the group was found holding out in a Holiday Inn in Colorado Springs. That Holiday Inn was two blocks from my house. And to top off the coincidence, the swat team member that held the gun to the main guy's head while they arrested him was on my bowling team. I had three separate connections to one nationwide event. Hmm...

Tommy Ceez

Second Unit
Kim,
Before Giuliani, you could find a body on St. Marks Place regularly.

My local golf course (.5 mi from my house) was listed in Maxims 10 most dangerous golf courses in the world due to its thick woods and remote location, still within the confines of NYC, makes it a perfect spot for mob hits/dumps

Ive seen the occasional body on the street (with police attention) but I had no idea what the cause of death was...hey its NY, just keep moving and dont make eye contact!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks