What's new

A Good Mid range Receiver ~~ $500-700 (1 Viewer)

Rob_VVVV

Auditioning
I a bit new at this and am in the process of setting up a quality system in my living room.

I currently have the following :

42" Sony Plasma

Panasonic RD56 Progressive scan dvd

Speakers :

Polk Audio :

Mains : RT2000p

Center : CS400

Rears : RT35

Sub PSW140

I currently have a cheepie receiver

Pioneer : VSX-D557 from my collage days. Its does the job ok but its time to move up.

Unfortunatly my current budget for the receiver is about $500-$700 right now. (id like to be able to double it - but not for a while)

Also - I currently do not have an Amp to push the speakers - is this necessary - what type of quality increase can I expect if I add on?

Thanks for any help.

-Rob

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
in that price range there are a billion different receivers to look at. it all depends on what you want the receiver for. if it will be for mostly music that would be one thing, if mostly movies than that is another thing or 50/50. first decide on that. than think about what kind of sound do you like, warm or bright. i prefer bright so i look at yamaha and onkyo. if you prefer a warm sound you may want to look at denon or h/k. i think the denon 2802 and the yamaha rx-v1200 may be a good place to start. the new onkyo 600 is coming out real soon, that will be another good option. also the outlaw 1050 is a great receiver too (online only). but first narrow what you will be using the receiver for, what options you want it to have and what sound you like. if you let us know we may be able to give you a better idea.

Rob_VVVV

Auditioning
Thanks for the info.

It would be mostly for Movies and TV.

Very little radio and music - id say probably at 90/10 split (movie/music)

Im also looking for one that has at least 3 optical inputs.

1 for the sat.

1 for the DVD

1 for the CD Player

-Rob

Brian Treinen

Stunt Coordinator
You can pick up a Denon 3802 for less than $800 shipped (6th ave.com ask for Steve ext-511) and if you pay with amex blue you can price match down to $720 which is just slightly over your budget. It's got 3 optical and one coax digital input - I've got the same digital need you do and have one optical left!

If you're using it almost exclusively for TV/Movies then the PLII and 5/7 channel stereo it's got will be must have's!! I'm loving mine!

MichaelJ

Agent
I just orderd an Onkyo 797 from bestpriceaudiovidio.com for $729.00 in stock I have been looking for quite a while and I think this is the best receiver in this price range

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I just bought the Yamaha RX-V1200, which can be found for around $600 online (although they're not authorized dealers). It's got a ton of optical inputs, so you'd be all set.

Andrew Signore

Auditioning
I am a proud owner of an Outlow 1050 and I am thrilled with the value it offers. At $499, you can own an outstanding reciever and still come in under budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks