What's new

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I believe I’m still at HD-DVD for the first three so now seems like a good time to upgrade.

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
There is no 4K collection being released so far as all of them are individual releases.
There is a region free boxed set just order from UK all 5 movies in one set. Zoom is the brand name for the official UK distribution Universal Columbia Alliance (they distribute Sony, Universal & Paramount 4K & other studios (except for WB & Fox) UHDs in UK the actual discs also come to your home direct from the Sony DAC pressing plants so the prices are good as they cut out the middle men!).
https://www.zoom.co.uk/help/about_us:
https://www.zoom.co.uk/product/mission_impossible_1_5_4k_ultra_hd_blu_ray_uhd

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
The first four productions were film based, with the fifth was a hybrid affirm, proving that data and film, can play
nicely together.

M:I-3 was shot with a mix of 35mm and digital (Sony CineAlta HDC-F950, the same camera as Revenge of the Sith).

The entry I'm most interested to upgrade is, ironically, the franchise's least-loved. The M:I-2 Blu-ray was derived from an ancient, edge-enhanced and DNR-heavy master. Almost anything would have to be an improvement.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
iTunes currently has the 5-film Mission Impossible bundle for $49.99. That's for HD. But, presumably, when iTunes gets the 4K versions they will be available on the Apple TV 4K in 4K. And now that Dolby ATMOS is coming to Apple TV 4K, $10 each seems a nice way to get the 4K versions. That is, *if* iTunes gets the 4K versions.

I already own all 5 films on disc. The first 3 on HD DVD, the last 2 on Blu. I already redeemed the Rogue Nation digital code in iTunes so that should be a free upgrade to 4K (If iTunes gets the 4K versions). Still, the $50 price is tempting. Buying the other four individually would cost more than the bundle.

We'll see.

Mark

Last edited:

Blu_rayfan66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hugh S.
There is no 4K collection being released so far as all of them are individual releases.
There is a region free boxed set just order from UK all 5 movies in one set. Zoom is the brand name for the official UK distribution Universal Columbia Alliance (they distribute Sony, Universal & Paramount 4K & other studios (except for WB & Fox) UHDs in UK the actual discs also come to your home direct from the Sony DAC pressing plants so the prices are good as they cut out the middle men!).
https://www.zoom.co.uk/help/about_us:
https://www.zoom.co.uk/product/mission_impossible_1_5_4k_ultra_hd_blu_ray_uhd

Nice to have them all in 1 box but I imagine with shipping etc it's still more expensive than buying all 5 individually in the US- and I expect the US prices to drop after a while.
Mission.jpg

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Nice to have them all in 1 box but I imagine with shipping etc it's still more expensive than buying all 5 individually in the US- and I expect the US prices to drop after a while.

Buying a box for just the first five movies seems foolish when there's a sixth one coming out shortly.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I truly wish and hope that Paramount would do the same effort for the first 6 Star Trek films. Especially the first film with Robert Wise’ Directors Edition where he was able to fine tune the film.

I was just watching Ghost Protocol and Rogue Nation’s on regular blu ray and they looked great. I might pick this up when I upgrade to a 4K display or projector. Of course if they do it for Star Trek, I’ll upgrade! :)

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Nice to have them all in 1 box but I imagine with shipping etc it's still more expensive than buying all 5 individually in the US- and I expect the US prices to drop after a while. View attachment 47050
Not here in the UK that boxed set of all 5 is only £69.99 from Hmv or £80 from Zoom (which is the Hollywood studio's selling directly to the public). All 5 Steelbooks together are £100 from Zoom elsewhere they vary between £119 on amazon to £24.99 each elsewhere.
https://store.hmv.com/film-tv/4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray/mission-impossible-1-5

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Anyone noticed Ghost Protocol look now like it has a bleach bypass? Especially on the IMAX sequences like the tower climb sequence.
I checked on two players, two displays (including a video projector), and also I checked Bill Hunt TV snapshots on his twitter and it looks the same. The original disc does not look that way nor does the IMAX TV versions. The language subtitles are also yellow (you couldn't read them if they were white due to the washed out image)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Anyone noticed Ghost Protocol look now like it has a bleach bypass? Especially on the IMAX sequences like the tower climb sequence.
I checked on two players, two displays (including a video projector), and also I checked Bill Hunt TV snapshots on his twitter and it looks the same. The original disc does not look that way nor does the IMAX TV versions. The language subtitles are also yellow (you couldn't read them if they were white due to the washed out image)

Here’s a review..

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Mission-Impossible-Ghost-Protocol-4K-Blu-ray/203026/#Review

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Thanks, yes they notice it's a different presentation from the regular Blu-ray too.

Here are further notes:

1 looks similar to the original apart from the HDR, down to the select DNR in select shots. I have a feeling they either used the exact same color timing that they somehow kept on file on a disc back in the DVD days when they did the original HD master, or the color timing is baked in their source which might be an IP. However the HDR changes the colors in other parts, like the Langley break in. They probably just fixed some sequences, left others as they were.

2 appears ultra processed and some shots are awfully Edge Enhanced. For example the first establishing shot over the city, had some weird black flicker originaly (probably due to the shot being made from a helicopter, and the blades flickering the light), that is now completely gone. It adopts a cold look, loosing the original warmth (the film is very sunny originaly). The color timing is inconsistent on most of the action scenes, especially the end, due to this. Also the VFX like when the car is dangling from the edge of the precipice in the beginning, stands out way more due to this.
I compared with a VOD french HD that is on SFR play in France, and the VOD version (with french opening credits) looks better in every aspect with all the argentic speckles in the film untouched.

3 is an uprez that adds better compression and HDR but is otherwise similar in color timing to the original.

5 appears with tons of EE I never saw before, distracting in 4K. My feeling is if 4 was finished in 4K, it's the stand out because the HDR really makes it look different.

Those are my nit picks, otherwise, these are nice upgrades.

Last edited:

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
2 appears ultra processed and some shots are awfully Edge Enhanced.

5 appears with tons of EE I never saw before, distracting in 4K.

Yours is the only review I've seen claiming that any of these discs have edge enhancement problems.

(Note: I do not have the discs and have not watched any of them.)

Vegas 1

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alvin Kuenster
I looking to upgrade only the first three, upgrade the old BR for the first one and II & III will be DVD upgrades, the rest I'm fine with the current BRs.

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Keep in mind I watched those via a 4K projector on a very big screen. We tried them on a regular TV and of course they look much better at 60" than at 110". The EE in 5 was noticeable and weird on that big screen. (the regular Blu doesn't have it as it's not upscaled). I also noticed, as the BR review does, that there are some shots looking artificial and plastic in 4. Nothing bothersome, but there nonetheless.

IMHO if you don't own 1-3 on the european editions in AVC with DTS-HD, those are great upgrades.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Keep in mind I watched those via a 4K projector on a very big screen. We tried them on a regular TV and of course they look much better at 60" than at 110". The EE in 5 was noticeable and weird on that big screen. (the regular Blu doesn't have it as it's not upscaled). I also noticed, as the BR review does, that there are some shots looking artificial and plastic in 4. Nothing bothersome, but there nonetheless.

IMHO if you don't own 1-3 on the european editions in AVC with DTS-HD, those are great upgrades.

I’ve been holding out on the first film because the blu ray reviews were lousy. And the lack of dts-ma audio.
I haven’t upgraded to UHD but the title is on my list to pick up. Wish Paramount would’ve upgraded the 2k blu ray disc in the UHd set.

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
I'm still deep in IMF revisit. IMHO if you haven't got the europeans blus with the DTS-HD MA tracks, theses are the prefered upgrade. But be aware the sources are the same as the old discs, it's not like the Die Hard remaster for example, which uses a different scan from prior releases. Do not expect Matrix like new eyes on those films.

Expect the same looking prints, now upgraded to 4K HDR.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks