What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Whisky Galore & The Maggie - in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
As I continue to delve into the Film Movement releases, something seems to become more clear, and a couple of different factors may come into play.

First, a point must be made as to British films and how they've survived the years - which is not particularly well, regardless of the passion of archives such as the BFI, which does a superlative job of looking after the history and elements.

Whether the weather, the war, or just time working against them, especially British nitrates do not seem to be coming to home video in quality form.

These two films, Whisky Galore (nitrate) and The Maggie (safety) seem to tell the tale.

A number of archival elements on Whisky Galore are fortunately held by the BFI, inclusive of what appears to be an original nitrate sound negative.

But a further perusal shows only 600 feet of original nitrate picture.

There are several nitrate duplicating positives, of varying lengths, as well as what appear to be both complete as well as sections of dupe negative.

On top of that there is safety material.

But what I'm seeing, as delivered to Film Movement by Canal is generally dupey, and with many instances of incorrect color timing, generally a tendency to go underexposed and flat.

It's almost as if Canal just doesn't care, or lacks an interest in getting things correct, or even nearly correct.

The Maggie, which is a 1954 safety production has similar problems with timing, lack of true blacks, and an overall flat appearance, on top of which, there are sequences for which the audio quality is far below the norm of UK production of the era.

What I'm wondering is this...

With high quality classics in the library, and a ready market in the UK and abroad, is Canal seriously thinking about how they're mastering these films, or simply pushing them out, a bit akin to a 1976 GM product?

These are both delightful films, but they are underrepresented in terms of quality. And to make the point once again, that quality should not be the problem of the licensee.

Whisky Galore

Image - 3.5

Audio - 4

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from DVD - Yes

Highly Recommended

The Maggie

Image - 3.25

Audio - 3.25

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from DVD - Yes

Recommended

RAH

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Thanks Robert....the extras on the two releases are almost the same. The new release is missing a introduction, trailers and a Interview with Hilary Mackendrick, wife of Alexander Mackendrick.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Thank you Robert for your timely "A Few Words" , my copy arrived today, and i am certain that my untrained eyes may pick up some of the issues, but the films themselves are Ealing gems and once i get hooked i can overlook some of the blemishes. Lots of great things to laugh and chuckle about lately on this side of the pond as of late. I hope you will continue to delve into Film Movements newest British acquisitions, with either the upcoming WW II box set or the Alistair Sim set that is also scheduled for release.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Thank you Robert for your timely "A Few Words" , my copy arrived today, and i am certain that my untrained eyes may pick up some of the issues, but the films themselves are Ealing gems and once i get hooked i can overlook some of the blemishes. Lots of great things to laugh and chuckle about lately on this side of the pond as of late. I hope you will continue to delve into Film Movements newest British acquisitions, with either the upcoming WW II box set or the Alistair Sim set that is also scheduled for release.

I plan to check out both. Some of the WWII titles are superb films.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks