What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Thing (1982) - UK Arrow -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
No discussion necessary regarding the film.

This is all about a comparison of the two most currently available Blu-rays, licensed from Universal.

The Shout Factory version was released about a year ago, derived from a 35mm IP, and looks fine.

The Arrow UK release, which is R2, is an interesting case, as one might believe that the difference between the two, at least based upon the scanned film elements, might be minor.

It isn't.

While the Shout Factory nicely represents the film, based upon a quality IP, the new Arrow version is head and shoulders above, in terms of overall resolution, color, and one would presume, compression and authoring.

Early in the film, when the helicopter arrives back at base, there's a LS of the buildings, with various radio antennas across the shot.

In the Shout version, one can tell that they're there, while in the Arrow version, they are far more obvious and detailed. Almost the difference that one might expect comparing 2k and 4k discs, but not quite.

Color also shines, along with slightly sharper grain structure. Bluer skies, whiter snow. Just cleaner overall, along with a better image cleanup.

For fans of the film, is this worth an import?

Absolutely. The difference is well worth the cost of the upgrade.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade - Yes

Highly Recommended

RAH

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
So what this proves is that although a 2K scan from an IP is fine for Blu Ray, when done right, a 4K scan from the OCN produces better quality for Blu Ray and also serves any future UHD release.

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
So what this proves is that although a 2K scan from an IP is fine for Blu Ray, when done right, a 4K scan from the OCN produces better quality for Blu Ray and also serves any future UHD release.

Certainly better, if handled properly at every level.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
You're killing me, Robert. I just bought the Shout release a few months ago. Please at least tell me the Arrow release is region locked so I will not be tempted (I do not have a region-free player).

Sorry. You’re unable to own the Arrow release, as it’s region locked.

This may come around in 4k in the future.

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
The Shout looks sharper. But it's fake sharpness due to a sharpening filter. The Arrow has the more authentic look. But I think there is more to be seen in the 4K UHD, if there is one someday.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Damn, its’ over $25 shipped from A.UK. I think I have 3 releases of this film already. I wish I knew a 4K was on the way.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I don't know if it might be cheaper or even included, but I think Arrow is planning at least a Shocktober Sale. Maybe AmazonUK will follow the price. I think part 1 of the sale starts Oct 1 and a second wave of titles that have been OOS for a while will show up Oct 12

If it drops to £7.50 like is some prior sales then it should be around £15 shipped direct from Arrow. If Amazon matches then maybe a little less. Of course if you want several titles the shipping costs from either place will be spread out and much better average price.

unnamed

Last edited:

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The ARROW Films sale has started. THE THING is £7.50 but shipping isn't pleasant if you only want a single item.
The THING is B-locked though like about 50-60% of ARROW UK Blurays. Overall about 400 titles on sale with the majority £5-10.

For folks that like ARROW products and esp who are Region Free, these can be quite a bit cheaper during sales like this than buying even ARROW US releases at 50% off.

diabolikdvd running a similar sale mostly on US versions though they do carry a few UK items -- esp those without and ARROW US version

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
The ARROW Films sale has started. THE THING is £7.50 but shipping isn't pleasant if you only want a single item.
The THING is B-locked though like about 50-60% of ARROW UK Blurays. Overall about 400 titles on sale with the majority £5-10.

For folks that like ARROW products and esp who are Region Free, these can be quite a bit cheaper during sales like this than buying even ARROW US releases at 50% off.

diabolikdvd running a similar sale mostly on US versions though they do carry a few UK items -- esp those without and ARROW US version
Thanks for the heads up.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Will likely pick this one up, if it’s not expensive. I have the Scream Factory BluRay, and the Universal DVD, so a UHD bare bones will be fine.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I was surprised it is available on Vudu……..I watched all of it last night and it seemed like the first time I had ever seen it. The snow never look so white.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I realized there was a back cover. Extras are light, a doc and commentary with JC and KR, all carryovers. Sound is DTS:X.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks