What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Planet Earth II -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I've now been able to view upwards of 100 4k UHD releases, both with and without HDR.

Well over half, have been similar to their HD Blu-ray in quality, with the sometimes added benefit of HDR in their 4k format.

More than a dozen will have you wondering why they're even released as 4k.

Some have been superior because of image capture in 4k or higher, with post in 4k, or an image harvest from a large format film source.

BBC's Planet Earth II takes a leap forward, with extraordinary programming (300 minutes of it), all shot, and posted in 4k, and taken to 4k Blu-ray with UHD that actually sets a standard in both content as well as execution. In addition, we're given a 54-minute making of, that like it's counterpart, is of extraordinary quality.

Narrated (and presumably shepherded) by the great David Attenborough, Planet Earth II is the epitome of quality UK programming, and at $40 in 4k (a three 4k disc set), is worth far above the price of admission.

Lest anyone be interested, music is by Hans Zimmer.

This is my current Reference Quality go-to disc for demo, and also finally a reason for those who have not yet made the move to 4k, to do so asap.

Home Theater image quality doesn't get any better.

Image - 5*

Audio - 5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail - Pass

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I started buying movies on vhs, then to laserdisc, then to dvd, and currently Blu-ray and noticed a big improvement on each upgrade but currently debating if i would see a big difference to 4k and the biggest I can go on my tv is a 50 inch. I guess I can go to my local store and see two TV's side by side and see the difference in the picture detail.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've now been able to view upwards of 100 4k UHD releases, both with and without HDR.

Well over half, have been similar to their HD Blu-ray in quality, with the sometimes added benefit of HDR in their 4k format.

More than a dozen will have you wondering why they're even released as 4k.

Some have been superior because of image capture in 4k or higher, with post in 4k, or an image harvest from a large format film source.

BBC's Planet Earth II takes a leap forward, with extraordinary programming (300 minutes of it), all shot, and posted in 4k, and taken to 4k Blu-ray with UHD that actually sets a standard in both content as well as execution. In addition, we're given a 54-minute making of, that like it's counterpart, is of extraordinary quality.

Narrated (and presumably shepherded) by the great David Attenborough, Planet Earth II is the epitome of quality UK programming, and at $40 in 4k (a three 4k disc set), is worth far above the price of admission.

Lest anyone be interested, music is by Hans Zimmer.

This is my current Reference Quality go-to disc for demo, and also finally a reason for those who have not yet made the move to 4k, to do so asap.

Home Theater image quality doesn't get any better.

Image - 5*

Audio - 5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail - Pass

Very Highly Recommended

RAH
I thought you'll say that which is why I asked if you viewed it yet. It is my reference disc! I got it on its release date and watched the entire program in 24 hours. My favorite episode was the one about wild life living in cities.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
I started buying movies on vhs, then to laserdisc, then to dvd, and currently Blu-ray and noticed a big improvement on each upgrade but currently debating if i would see a big difference to 4k and the biggest I can go on my tv is a 50 inch. I guess I can go to my local store and see two TV's side by side and see the difference in the picture detail.

There is a difference in 90+% of the UHD disks released with a wider color gambit (10bit vs 8bit), better contrast, etc. Yes, you get more detail but that is not the selling point of 4K in my opinion. This movie hands down shows off what this format should and can be. (I own and have watched 93 UHD discs plus a ton of 4K streamed material)

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
There is a difference in 90+% of the UHD disks released with a wider color gambit (10bit vs 8bit), better contrast, etc. Yes, you get more detail but that is not the selling point of 4K in my opinion. This movie hands down shows off what this format should and can be. (I own and have watched 93 UHD discs plus a ton of 4K streamed material)
Thanks for your input and that's what I have been reading here from others who have 4k. Being a film buff and want to see the best image possible I might buy one soon tv & player.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
The image quality is amazing, but on the episodes I've seen so far, the narration is mixed down a little too low

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The output level of the narration sounds just perfect in my system and yes, this is an extraordinary 4K release.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
If there weren't enough reasons to purchase, already;
based on RAH's initial review of Planet Earth;
with consistencies confirmed in Planet Earth II;
along comes the blind buy selling point...
the name of David Attenborough.
Time to dive in.

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
You will see colours never seen before in home video. Excellent use of HDR. It's like the sun was intentionally put behind our landscape just to show off what HDR can do in home video. Absolutely stunning in virtually every case. (The consistent exception is that aerial shots are a bit soft and noisy with compression during capture. These shots are likely taken with inferior drone sensors/lenses compared to the rest of the production. The good news is you likely won't see it on a smaller screen. At 8-feet wide, you may be able to see it if you're quick. ;))

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You will see colours never seen before in home video. Excellent use of HDR. It's like the sun was intentionally put behind our landscape just to show off what HDR can do in home video. Absolutely stunning in virtually every case. (The consistent exception is that aerial shots are a bit soft and noisy with compression during capture. These shots are likely taken with inferior drone sensors/lenses compared to the rest of the production. The good news is you likely won't see it on a smaller screen. At 8-feet wide, you may be able to see it if you're quick. ;))
Which means most of us won't see it!

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I can see the softer shots too, and I do believe that there are a few 1080p shots from the original series that were reused. Specifically, the opening ground-level footage of the dust storm in the "Deserts" episode. However, these are minor nitpicks. Planet Earth II looks downright amazing.

Brian9229

Rushman
Real Name
Brian
This is quite a set. I was more than happy to pick this up. One of the first blurays I bought way back was the first Planet Earth, and that stunned me then. This set though, is a thing of beauty. I loved the city segment, very funny actually.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Just purchased my first 4K player the Panasonic UB900 and played my first disc and it was Planet Earth II. Wow!!....what a image and even playing a few 2K blu-rays I noticed a improvement on my tv screen. From vhs to laserdisc, dvd, Blu-ray and now 4K this is heaven for me and I can't wait to play more titles on my new player.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks