What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Kong: Skull Island - 3D -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Fair enough. I haven't watched the 4K of SI yet. I was blown away by the 4K Jackson transfer so I'm curious to see this one with Atmos.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I don't see much difference between Jackson's Kong and this film. Somebody explain to me why Jackson's version is so superior.
Two things I love about the Jackson version that aren't in Skull Island is the emotion in the story and the obvious love & respect of the original. And that's fine because I think Skull Island was more interested in making a 'new' action movie using the Kong character and it was reasonably successful in that regard but those are two elements that I think make the Jackson movie much better.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Two things I love about the Jackson version that aren't in Skull Island is the emotion in the story and the obvious love & respect of the original. And that's fine because I think Skull Island was more interested in making a 'new' action movie using the Kong character and it was reasonably successful in that regard but those are two elements that I think make the Jackson movie much better.
Funny, that's the reason why I don't value the Jackson film as much as you and others do. He basically copied the entire premise from the 1933 film while at least this film tried some different stuff with an updated time line. As I stated in another thread, if Jackson wasn't the director of the 2005 film, I seriously doubt it would be getting the same type of love it's received by some around here. Again, the 2005 film is good and is a better film than this one. However, I don't feel it's vastly superior like you and some others feel about it. Perhaps, the length of Jackson's film doesn't appeal to me. I'm not usually affected by long films and most of the time really enjoy them, but at times, the length of the 2005 film kind of bored me to some degree. Another thing, I didn't like Jack Black in this film. Hell, he made Samuel Jackson looked better in Kong.:)

Last edited:

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
I'm confused by some of the criticism here.

How was this movie a slog to get through? I found it tight and fast paced. They got to the island quick and once through the fog it was game on. They wasted no time. Compare that to Jackson's Tom Bombadillish boat ride to the island.

And how was the story a mess? A large group, separated during the initial attack has to survive a mystwrious island while making it to the rendezvous point. And we get the great John C. Reilly as our guide.
Pretty simple, actually.

Ill grant you some might find the script lacking. But this is a big budget effects laden monster movie. What were you expecting? Put a bunch of stock characters on an island with monsters and watch what happens. I felt the lack of side stories and melodrama helped keep this film focused and on point.

Bad acting? The characters may be stock and underwritten, but the acting was fine.

And mediocre effects?

There are plenty of movies I don't like that others love. That's the cool thing about film. But some of the criticisms here I think are unfair or stem from unrealistic expectations.

I grew up in the 70s and one local station played a lot of the Japanese Kong movies. Perhaps its just nostalgia for destroy all monsters and Kong vs Godzilla. But I found Skull Island to be much more a nod to those instead of a third attempt at remaking a classic. And in that regard Skull Island just put a smile on my face from beginning to end.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

How was this movie a slog to get through? I found it tight and fast paced. They got to the island quick and once through the fog it was game on. They wasted no time. Compare that to Jackson's Tom Bombadillish boat ride to the island.

And how was the story a mess? A large group, separated during the initial attack has to survive a mystwrious island while making it to the rendezvous point. And we get the great John C. Reilly as our guide.
Pretty simple, actually.

Ill grant you some might find the script lacking. But this is a big budget effects laden monster movie. What were you expecting? Put a bunch of stock characters on an island with monsters and watch what happens. I felt the lack of side stories and melodrama helped keep this film focused and on point.

Bad acting? The characters may be stock and underwritten, but the acting was fine.

And mediocre effects?

There are plenty of movies I don't like that others love. That's the cool thing about film. But some of the criticisms here I think are unfair or stem from unrealistic expectations.

I grew up in the 70s and one local station played a lot of the Japanese Kong movies. Perhaps its just nostalgia for destroy all monsters and Kong vs Godzilla. But I found Skull Island to be much more a nod to those instead of a third attempt at remaking a classic. And in that regard Skull Island just put a smile on my face from beginning to end.
Yup!

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
I think the problem is that it is a completely different take on the Kong story instead of copying what has been done. I enjoyed the heck out of it and can't wait to watch it again this weekend. As much as I like the 2005 it is a slog to get through, almost didn't make it Saturday when I watched it. It is a beautiful movie but it just goes on and on... but hey I like good popcorn flicks and don't need every movie to have academy awards written all over it. I really enjoyed the Apocalypse Now feel and vibe... It is one of my top movies of 2017 so far.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
To each his own, I really enjoy this film. You should just sell it and get back most of your monies.

I probably will Robert, and just for the record I really tried to like it. I wanted to like it. Unfortunately the movie let me down. Glad that you enjoyed though.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

Pretty simple, actually.

And mediocre effects?

And I'm happy for you, but trying to rationalize why one person likes a particular film and another doesn't is pretty much folly, really. Films connect with us on so many emotional and subliminal levels that most of the time it's nearly impossible to quantify exactly what those connections are. The different reactions to SI in this thread are a perfect example of this. You find it hard to understand my criticisms of the movie and I find your defenses of it lacking, AND THAT'S OK. It's the way it should be, actually. :)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Yeah. What fun would it be if we agreed on everything?:wub:

As long as we're respectful towards everyone's opinions it's all good.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
My 2 cents: It's a fun movie but nothing we haven't seen before. Main attraction was the 3D, if it had been released without it I could live with never seeing it and just watch the original more times instead.

Anyone notice the Warner Home Video intro on the 3D disc WAS in Dolby Atmos, even though the actual movie wasn't? Also did anyone respond to the online survey card inside? I gave 3D as my main reason for purchasing it and also why I gave it the highest picture quality rating (they'll ask you a reason for that), they also ask why you bought the disc when you knew it was available early on digital and my answer was that I will NEVER switch to buying movies that way!

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
My 2 cents: It's a fun movie but nothing we haven't seen before. Main attraction was the 3D, if it had been released without it I could live with never seeing it and just watch the original more times instead.

Same for me. If the film was not 3D or the 3D was very boring, it would be a rental.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer

Anyone notice the Warner Home Video intro on the 3D disc WAS in Dolby Atmos, even though the actual movie wasn't? Also did anyone respond to the online survey card inside? I gave 3D as my main reason for purchasing it and also why I gave it the highest picture quality rating (they'll ask you a reason for that), they also ask why you bought the disc when you knew it was available early on digital and my answer was that I will NEVER switch to buying movies that way!

Never say never!! You know there will be a day in your lifetime that most likely it will be the only option you have. Gonna have to suck it up soldier :)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
And that's fine because I think Skull Island was more interested in making a 'new' action movie using the Kong character
I also never thought there was any intended connection between this film and any prior "Kong" film. It was simply a new story using the character of Kong, and an introduction to a skyscraper-sized Kong in preparation for the upcoming "Kong vs. Godzilla". I haven't seen this since it was in theaters, so I don't recall if there were any "winks or nods" to prior Kong stories, but I don't recall there being any major plot connections and didn't expect any.

Jackson's "King Kong" was never presented or promoted as anything other than a modern remake, so I'm not clear on why the similarity to the 1933 film would be seen as a strike against it. I'm also not sure why anyone would seek to compare these two films, as there's no reason to do so. One is a purposeful remake of an existing property, the other is a completely independent story.

SImply the size of the titular creature would seem to indicate these films inhabit different universes. Jackson's Kong would be toejam to the 'Skull Island' Kong.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Great thread... i have to say I'm probably one of many who have been shortchanged by the studios not including Atmos on standard Blu-Ray and or 3-D BLUs but only to 4K. I spent so much money upgrading and as soon as I did that soon after titles started leaking out that favored Atmos for 4K only.

I would like to see this movie in 3D but my goodness not even 7.1 !

No sale! I've passed on many titles like this before and I don't mind spending my money on other releases instead.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I have two OPPO players one is Region free one is Region locked and my friend got the Best Buy 4K set. I always have one player that I also have connected to HDMI into my 2 calibrated etc for image. And in the past I've synced the 3D Gravity with the Atmos BLU and I just did the same with KONG .... so yeah I've seen it in 3D and Atmos.

Mission Accomplished again Warner Bros could have made it easier!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Damn, how much patience and trial and error does it take to get that matched up? I was curious what the no-score version of Gravity would be like in 3D but not enough to try that. (I'd also love to sync the original mono track on the Terminator 1 DVD with the HD video on the BD.)

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Syncing it depends on each film... I try to get one paused at a precise moment on an opening logo and get the other one going and hitting play on the paused film when I believe the one playing hits it's mark. It is a bit of trial and error it took me about 5 tries and I got Kong synced up spot on.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks