What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
My notes on Deep Rising may or may not be helpful, as I'm seeing a bit of controversy as to what this release from Kino Lorber might, might not be, or in fact - is.

My problem is that I have no point of reference on this film, and can only go by what I'm seeing in this specific instance.

I'm aware that there was discussion regarding a new 4k scan at Disney, which is possible, since afaik, all current scans there are 4k.

From what my eyes are telling me, aside from the Hollywood logo, which is dupe, it's difficult to tell whether the element scanned was OCN or IP.

You'll not see much difference between the two on a quality Blu-ray disc, and this is definitely a quality release.

The image is extremely stable. Grain structure is appropriate and moderate. Colors, black levels, shadow detail, and resolution, are all within high-end standards.

I'm seeing zero problems with Deep Rising.

DTS audio is rich, full and loud, when necessary.

I would presume that the major selling point here for fans, will be the plethora of extras that Kino has added, and the investment here is not minimal.

With Deep Rising, Kino Lorber is making a move in quality and extras toward Criterion.

I would have no qualms about purchasing this product.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Upgrade from DVD - presumably

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
On paper alone, this would be a definite upgrade over the previous Mill Creek double feature Blu-ray or non-anamorphic Disney DVD!

Last edited:

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
On paper alone, this would be a definite upgrade over the previous Mill Creek double feature Blu-ray or non-anamorphic Disney DVD!

I have the Mill Creek bluray double feature. I was curious if this was worth a double dip. The extras are definitely appealing on this new Kino disc. I really enjoy this film, lots of fun. Treat Williams is always a "treat" to watch.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Holy cow! I haven't seen this movie in years, but I remember getting a giant kick out of it. I'll definitely get this!

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I have the Mill Creek bluray double feature. I was curious if this was worth a double dip. The extras are definitely appealing on this new Kino disc. I really enjoy this film, lots of fun. Treat Williams is always a "treat" to watch.
I'm in the same boat (pun intended). Is this a better transfer?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Digital HD copy on sale at iTunes for $7.99 if anyone is interested.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Amazon US is showing a deal on this blu-ray for Prime members starting at 7am tomorrow (10/5). Not sure if that's PDT or EDT. No price listed yet.

upload_2018-10-4_11-37-17.png

Users who are viewing this thread