What's new

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
Alas, to the best of my knowledge, the silent BEAU GESTE is very nearly a lost film, surviving only in 16mm. I can't imagine Paramount being willing to spend the amount of money needed to restore and digitize it. Maybe the Film Foundation can get involved...

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Alas, to the best of my knowledge, the silent BEAU GESTE is very nearly a lost film, surviving only in 16mm. I can't imagine Paramount being willing to spend the amount of money needed to restore and digitize it. Maybe the Film Foundation can get involved...
Wow, I remember seeing it at MoMA in 35mm during its Paramount retrospective in 1972. Granted, that was during the Dark Ages, but it's too bad that that print bit the dust (literally). Such a good film.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Wow, I remember seeing it at MoMA in 35mm during its Paramount retrospective in 1972. Granted, that was during the Dark Ages, but it's too bad that that print bit the dust (literally). Such a good film.
Yeah, I saw that print too. I remember it being quite beautiful.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
@Dick Rodent Will Hays reminds me of Nosferatu 1921.

Yes...good catch. And did you ever watch this creep deliver one of his self-righteous speeches about the need for moral good in our country? Check out YouTube. That's the kind of holier-than-thou idiot you just want to bury up to his neck at low tide, a la CREEPSHOW.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Yes...good catch. And did you ever watch this creep deliver one of his self-righteous speeches about the need for moral good in our country? Check out YouTube. That's the kind of holier-than-thou idiot you just want to bury up to his neck at low tide, a la CREEPSHOW.
Yes, I had the "misfortune" to watch him deliver many of his speeches. Always scary. He'd fit right in today...I'll leave it at that.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Just viewed the movie for the first time thanks to my local library and liked the film. Lots of action and fine performances especially Brian Donlevy as the sadistic sergeant so when the disc goes on sale i will buy it.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Not everyone can afford to buy Blu-rays and that's especially true now due this current crisis.

I have been renting many of these Kino (and other studio) titles through 3D Rental. If you subscribe to their monthly plan (15 titles), it costs $2.67 per title. I don't need to own every movie released, but there are many I would like to see on Blu-ray before I die. If conditions improve for us (second stimulus checks, for example), I might start buying some of them again. I'm 70, and don't expect I'll ever be on the work force again, so cut-backs like this are necessary, and I am slowly accepting that truth.

This is a real different ball game compared to just one year ago.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Only 70? A spring chicken ....
I'm doing the same .. thinking about which books I must reread before the inevitable. And trying to train our new puppy. Now there's a task.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I just watched If I Were King, and they included the re-issue trailer for Beau Geste '39 (which is also included on several other Kino releases). I never noticed this image in my past viewings

BeauGestTrailer.JPG
I don't know when this re-issue trailer for a Paramount film was made but that image of the three soldiers struck me as familiar.

Funny, there was was an RKO film released the same year with this shot

GungaDinStill.JPG
I wonder what became of that other film

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I just watched If I Were King, and they included the re-issue trailer for Beau Geste '39 (which is also included on several other Kino releases). I never noticed this image in my past viewings

View attachment 175452
I don't know when this re-issue trailer for a Paramount film was made but that image of the three soldiers struck me as familiar.

View attachment 175451
The other film is one of the great WB productions, and will appear in their Salute to WB volume 5 or 6. For those unaware, RKO was originally a sister division of First National, not to be confused with International Pictures.

Actually shot on the Warner ranch. In a higher resolution scan, the tops of the columns of Tara can be seen in the background.

There is a very famous image of Mr. Warner sitting behind his desk in early 1940, behind a massive number of Academy Awards. The output of the studio in 1939 was staggering. It was said that he had so many stars under contract that he had “More stars than there were in the heavens.” Standing just to his left in the image, his favorite contract director, Frank Capra.

There was also a leak over at the Bits, delineating volumes 7 and 8, which will include the earliest WB films, their first motion picture, Don Juan (1926) and second, The Jazz Singer (1927). From the studio’s beginnings in a small shack on Cuhuenga and Highland in 1923, where the brothers fabricated ladies’ gloves, to the move to Sunset in early 1925, where only ten years later they would create world’s first Technicolor film - their pride was showing.

Also thanks to the Bits for the info that the final set will include Harry Hurwitz’s wonderful documentary on the Brothers Warner, That’s Adequate!

Last edited:

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
The other film is one of the great WB productions, and will appear in their Salute to WB volume 5 or 6. For those unaware, RKO was originally a sister division of First National, not to be confused with International Pictures.

Actually shot on the Warner ranch. In a higher resolution scan, the tops of the columns of Tara can be seen in the background.

There is a very famous image of Mr. Warner sitting behind his desk in early 1940, behind a massive number of Academy Awards. The output of the studio in 1939 was staggering. It was said that he had so many stars under contract that he had “More stars than there were in the heavens.” Standing just to his left in the image, his favorite contract director, Frank Capra.

There was also a leak over at the Bits, delineating volumes 7 and 8, which will include the earliest WB films, their first motion picture, Don Juan (1926) and second, The Jazz Singer (1927). From the studio’s beginnings in a small shack on Cuhuenga and Highland in 1923, where the brothers fabricated ladies’ gloves, to the move to Sunset in early 1925, where only ten years later they would create world’s first Technicolor film - their pride was showing.

Also thanks to the Bits for the info that the final set will include Harry Hurwitz’s wonderful documentary on the Brothers Warner, That’s Adequate!

They leaked Vol. 5&6? Any link to it?

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

View attachment 175452

View attachment 175451

The bottom shot is from GUNGA DIN, no?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks