What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ A Man for All Seasons -- in Blu-ray (2 Viewers)

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
A great film and a not so great release on dvd. Have the 2 dvd releases and to me both looked soft at times with somewhat bland colors. I did see it broadcast on The Sony Channel HD and it did look much better so this new release will be a easy buy for me.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
After watching 4 seasons of The Tudors (which ended in 2010) i was left wanting more. So I watched AMFAS (for the first time) on Netflix in HD. A very enjoyable, well made, written, and acted film.

After 5 years, I think it's time to upgrade to TT's new BD. :)

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
MartEvans said:
Ordered. I'm going in blind on this one but I've read nothing but good things about it.

A Man For All Seasons is often described (most deservedly) as literate and intelligent. But what I also appreciate about the film is that it achieves its intelligence while rarely having to resort to the use of the sort of 25 dollar words that one might only grasp if he had been an English major in college.

I first saw AMFAS a month before beginning my junior year of high school, and simply found the verbal confrontations to be electric. This is a film that, to me, has more replay value than any of the other 575 movies we have on Blu-ray, or the 1000+ on DVD, in our collection.

Mr Evans, if you enjoy hearing pointed, witty dialogue, and really strong verbal jousting, you are going to love A Man For All Seasons, as well as the work of a number of great performers, like Paul Scofield, whose clarity and eloquence in the title role never wears thin for me, though I've seen the film at least 20 times. I used to think that action films like Raiders of the Lost Ark led the pack in terms of replay value, until I was reintroduced to A Man For All Seasons, by acquiring it on DVD, more than a decade ago.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
The historical events depicted in "A Man For All Seasons" involve great historical figures, but at no time does one lose sight of the ordinary humanity of the characters, which really makes the drama fascinating and easy to relate to. I'd call that great directing of great actors.

notmicro

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark M
Now next if only we can get a North American release of the cheerfully-over-the-top The Lion In Winter (1968 Panavision). Rarely have two old pros chewed so much scenery with so much gusto.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
davidmatychuk said:
The historical events depicted in "A Man For All Seasons" involve great historical figures, but at no time does one lose sight of the ordinary humanity of the characters, which really makes the drama fascinating and easy to relate to. I'd call that great directing of great actors.
Agreed David - unquestionably superb direction by a director that was adept at exploring human intricacy.

For me though, above the direction, the monumental performances across the board, photography, costume, music etc (all of which deserve superlatives), soars Robert Bolt's script.

The "ordinary humanity of the characters" shines through in Bolt's original stage play and his adapted screenplay. I feel fortunate that I read the script before my first viewing of the film, simply because I fell in love with the pure beauty and power of Bolt's language, uncoloured by any association with performance.

Of course, ever since seeing the movie (innumerable times), I can no longer read the script without hearing the actors' renditions in my head - most especially Paul Scofield's - and I am very happy about that too, as those performances were extraordinary.

All involved in this production rose to supreme heights to do justice to Robert Bolt's unmatched screenplay.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Michel_Hafner said:
Of course. I would buy a decent release of "The Nun's Story" or "The Search* on the first day.

You took the words right out of my mouth. The Nun's Story is unquestionably in my top five most wanted Blu-rays.

Reactions: PMF

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
davidmatychuk said:

Which was how it was played in Wolf Hall. Just another day at the palace...

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Matt Hough said:
You took the words right out of my mouth. The Nun's Story is unquestionably in my top five most wanted Blu-rays.

I would bet that Nun's Story is in need of an expensive bit of work.

RAH

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Robert Harris said:
I would bet that Nun's Story is in need of an expensive bit of work.

RAH

The last time I watched my DVD, I thought it looked somewhat faded and lacking texture, so I'm thinking you're right.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Robert Harris said:
Which was how it was played in Wolf Hall. Just another day at the palace...
Having just finished viewing the whole season, I find the two portrayals of More make for a fascinating contrast, allowing for the imbalance in screen time.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Raul Marquez said:
Robert,

I thank you, but my wallet doesn't!

:) (just kidding)

Ordered as well!

Raul

Just think of those $60 laser discs 30 years ago and it's a little easier to swallow. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks