What's new

950 CD acquisition (1 Viewer)

BruceD

Screenwriter
Chris and Robert,

If I'm not mistaken, CD players (DVD players?) may handle the changes between tracks from sequential play, random play, selected track play, or skip play each in a different manner. That is to say they may mute the output signal or not during the silent passages. Not all CD palyers do it the same way for each method either.

This could all effect how the CD player's digital output signal is interpreted by any prepro.

BruceD

Screenwriter
John,

I was trying to give some input to the question ChrisPC asked in the closed thread on the 950 about acquisition of a digital signal by the prepro.

J

John Morris

Thanks Bruce! That makes more sense now. Occasionally, I end my posts with a question, and occasionally I forget to include it in my original post... good to see that you are not so inflicted. :)

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Bruce,
Thanks for the clarification and for continuing ChrisPC's original discussion in the now closed Outlaw thread.
The points that you make are exactly what I was trying to say when I mentioned that you can't always lay the blame of acquisition delay at the doorstep of a pre/pro. Not only are there many variations in the way that media is set up (flags, etc.) but also in the way that different CD players and other hardware signal sources deal with media as well.
Good point.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I guess I've never experienced drop-outs or lack of acquisition with my CD player and figured manufacturers and engineers would model their products after this design. I understand the 950 can be FORCED into, for instance, PCM for CD playback, so thats perfectly fine with me if it results in no signal loss. As I said before, using my Panasonic CV51 5 disc dvd player, I was able to lose the signal several times with my Marantz receiver and the onkyo receiver I tried. The only receiver I tried which DID NOT lose the signal was the NAD T751. Once it sensed the signal, it never lost a beat, even if you pressed stop on the CD player and waited like 10 seconds to start a track again. The only time the NAD did miss a bit was when I played a CD upon first turing on the receiver and/or the DVD player, and when playing a CD after having played a DD DVD, (which, of course, required signal detection and mode change). I imagine the NAD might allow for directly switching or choosing the mode too.
If I can choose the mode as PCM for CD's, so that the 950 expects, decodes and does not lose any CD signal, then thats perfect for me.
Actually, if you can set the 950 up so that once it is in a mode, it won't change, it'll be locked in until you change the mode, if you could use it that way, then that too would be essentially I need to avoid drop-outs or cut-off sound.
Thanks for the clarification and happy listening. I am keeping the Outlaw 950 on my short list of options on how to replace my current receiver. That and an AMP :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks