What's new

70mm blow up (1: 1.85) (1 Viewer)

MarcusUdeh

Supporting Actor
Scope 35mm films when blow-up to 70mm; the aspect ratio changes from 2.35 to 2.20. Correct? My question for matted 1.85 movies does the aspect ratio change for them too when blown up to 70mm?

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Usually not, the 70mm prints I've seen of 1.85 films have bars on the left and right to maintain the 1.85 aspect ratio. I'm sure there are exceptions that improperly crop the image, however.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
One that I just remembered was Rocky III and it was over-cropped to the standard 70mm 2.20 ratio. It looked terrible, all the closeups were clipped at the eyebrows.

MarcusUdeh

Supporting Actor
70mm blow up does add resolution even under the constraints of a non-scope aspect ratio.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Does it really add resolution to a 35mm blowup? I though it only increased either the throw distance or enabled for larger screen size over a standard 35mm print (and the six-track soundtrack). But, if you start with 35mm resolution, simply blowing up to 70mm wouldn't increase resolution.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
This is correct.

But a high-quality 70mm blow-up can hold up better on larger screens than a 35mm print - but that's more a function of the projection gear. I do think 70mm six-track sound is better than Dolby SVA, Dolby Digital or DTS.

Paul Linfesty

Stunt Coordinator
Some 70mm blow-ups of scope films maintain their "scope" ratio by not filling the top and bottom of the frame. Also, resolution can increase with a blow-up because the grain from a positive 70mm print will be severely reduced (due to much less magnification) than a 35mm print. The negative grain, of course, is not reduced, since it has to be blown-up. However, providing the screen size is the same, the negative grain should get reduced back to somewhere its normal state upon projection. Also, projection "jitter" is being reduced significantly as well, also adding to a sharper image. 70mm film can be lit at higher levels since there is more real estate to absorb heat before film buckling is introduced, also adding to a steady image.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell

As I'm sure you're aware, studios these days find DTS to be more cost-effective for 70mm prints, both for price and wear-and-tear. A shame for the audience, perhaps, but not if someone has to sit through a worn magnetic 6-track.

DJ

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
Blow up's to 70mm are also color timed differently.

If you played them side by side you would see that the 70mm print color wise is normally more vivid.

Dugger

MarcusUdeh

Supporting Actor
Would you say a bit more 'moodier' color palette than the 35mm print? I personally prefer much more dramatic tint for even the most mundane films.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks