What's new

7.1 witn Kenwood Vr-7070 (1 Viewer)

Kevin Criswell

Auditioning
O.K., I can set up 6.1 channel surround to my reciever, but I can't seem to hook up 7.1. Every indication in the manual lists 2 surround back channels, but everytime I hook it up, there is only sound out of one of the rear speaker. I have tried hooking speakers up to the "Front B" speakers and I just get sound out of the front speakers only because when you turn on the front B speakers it cuts sound from the surround speakers.

Brian Keith

Auditioning
That receiver is a true 6 channel. Understand that the same signal will be sent to both back surround speakers. That being said, try going into the speaker set up and look for an option to activate the second back surround speaker. Dont hook them up to front b.

Brian

Justin

Auditioning
I was wondering the same thing about a week ago when i sound tested a harman kardon 7.1 system,simply Depends on what you are watching, DVD hasn't technically released 7.1 on DVD video. :thumbsdown: Not yet anyway. So in theory, the 7.1 will be acting as a 6.1 the sound out of the 6th and seventh speakers should be the same :b If you are only getting sound out of only the 6th and not the 7th There may either be a connection that was overlooked possibly, or maybe the 7th channel doesn't respond to 6.1 In that case this post was misleading and if that is the case sorry, and i hope you find the source

Chad A

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin,

Your problem is that the 7070 only has 6 channels of amplification, not 7.
Your two choices are, use a poweramp to run the 7th channel from the rca output in the back of the reciever, or use an old reciever to run it, or wire up the 7th speaker in series like I did so that they both run off the 7070's rear surround channel.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Specific questions about specific receivers should be posted in the Receivers/Amps section. Thank you.

Kevin Criswell

Auditioning
Thanks for the help everyone. I believe that there is an amplified surround back and surround left. The reason I'm saying that is that one of the channels runs the center, one runs the font left, one the front right, then one runs both the surround left and right, and one the surround backs. All of the diagrams in the manual show both rear channel speakers set up and the test tone sends a seperate signal to the surround back left and the surround back right. That has been what is throwing me off so much, all of the diagrams and test tones indicate it is amplified but there is nothing showing how to hook up the other surround back. It has been very confusing to say the least.

Kevin Criswell

Auditioning
I finally got an answer to my problem from Kenwood. In order to do the 7.1 setup, you need to run a pre-amp. The 6.1 setup is amplified be the reciever and to do that 7.1 you need to run the surround backs out of the pre-out setup. Thanks everyone for your help, hope that this can help another confused soul out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks