7.1 speaker placement question...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lanny M, Dec 20, 2001.

1. Lanny M

Lanny M Agent

I'm considering adding the side surrounds to my current setup, but I have a placement problem. The entire right side of my listening position is open to the kitchen area.

I'm currently running 5.1, with the rears consisting of Paradigm Ref in-wall speakers mounted about 7 feet behind the listening position. My options for the side surround appear to be mounting another set of in-walls either in front or behind the listening position, or possibly trying the Paradigm Ref ADPs, a di-pole wall mount speaker. If I mount behind, the speakers will be located within 3 feet of the rears and about 3 feet behind the listening position. If I mount in front, the speakers will be about 6 feet in front of the listening position.

Does anyone have any experience with placements similar to this?

Thanks

2. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Sounds like I have the same setup as you. My LR is also open on the right side to the DR/kitch area. My front effect speakers are mounted directly to the wall behind the rest of the setup, which ends up about 2 feet from the ouside of the mains and 6 ft up. This also makes them 2 feet to the rear of the mains. I have had this config with my last 7.1 receiver and now my 8.1 receiver. Even though there is just a small signal going out to these effect speakers, I sure notice when they are turned off.

Some receivers have delay settings which would probably help solve any echoing or timing. Go for it.