What's new

65hdx82 dark pictures on some programs (1 Viewer)

TedM

Grip
I just got my new 65hdx82 and the picture was spectacular. I then lowered the contrast per the opinions of people on this forum (right now at 45%) and most programs are great but SOME programs (not just the source or channel) are too dark to watch. Last night while watching Law and Order (over the air antenna) for example. The commercials were bright, only the actual program was dark. I have had the same problem with satellite programs as well which is hooked up with component video input. I brought the brightness up to 60%, but that only helped a very little.
Toshiba's "standard" default has the contrast up at 80% and the brightness at 50%. The ALS is turned off. If I turn it on , the picture is really tooooo dark.
Any ideas?:frowning:

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I just set my 50HDX82 to match the settings in this thread while I wait for my own Avia disk and I've seen a great improvement.
I leave my ALS off.
I would recommend ordering an Avia disk for accurate settings, but these numbers should give you a starting point.

TedM

Grip
I finally received my Avia disk and reset all my settings. It took me a while because at first I didn't realize that the settings weren't saved for all of the different inputs (Boy! The factory default for contrast on a couple of the inputs was 100%). These were my results:
Contrast: 54
Brightness: 64
Color: 50
Hue: -8
Sharpness: 44
The contrast was happily higher than some of the numbers I have seen on this forum (even though I was very careful to stay conservative). Now, all of my pictures are again nice and bright :)

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
When calibrating a set, I set contrast for 16-18 foot lamberts of light output in a 100 IRE Window. On this year's Toshiba HDX82's, I find I have to raise the contrast a fair bit from the factory Movie setting of 50.

I do this within the service menu, so I can't supply an average result for the user Contrast control, but if I had to guess, I'd say 60 is probably about right.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks