What's new

65" Panny Plasma... anybody have details? (1 Viewer)

Geo

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
I've heard Panasonic will be coming out with a 65" plasma display sometime in the near future but I haven't been able to locate any details or specs on this display.
Does anybody have any info they can share?
Can you imagine a 65" display hanging (mounted)on the wall,
can you say "nirvana":D

geo

Can you say dark gray's instead of blacks?

I've only ever heard of one somewhere around that size and the thing was like at least $12 000. If thats what the panasonic one will be around price wise I would just buy two or three smasung dlp sets instead. Their not too small but they look great and are lighter then the older rptv's.

Geo

Stunt Coordinator
Hard to imagine a DLP display that can equal or even come close to the PQ of a good plasma display. At least I haven't seen it.
Really no contest between the two, but we are talking some serious $$ differences:)

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
I think right now. Most plasmas have a terrible picture. I think a good mitsubishi RPTV has alot better picture than a Panasonic Plasma twice its size. Only 2 plasmas I like the picture on are the Mitsubishi and the Pioneer elite. Both over $10,000!

Rich H

Second Unit

Hi Jesse. I'd be curious if you've seen plasmas by Panasonic and Fujitsu in a proper set-up. It's hard to imagine anyone calling the image "terrible."

I have a humble 42" Panasonic ED Plasma, which can be found for $2,300. I've been a long-time audiophile/video nut, and it's the most satisfying electronics purchase I've made.It has virtually CRT-level blacks, perfect focus and geometry, all the time, gorgeous natural color, and a picture-window realism with a good source.

Here are some screen shot of a film playing on my plasma:

Plasma Screen Shots

(More shots, linked below my name).

To each his own, of course. Cheers,

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I'd call it less than reference but still better than any other digital display that I've seen yet. Fujitsu and Panasonic are the cream of the crop as far as I'm concerned.

Geo

Stunt Coordinator
Nice shots Rich!

I'm looking forward to the new DLP HD2+ & xHD3 (1080P) displays due out shortly.
However I think I'm looking more forward to the Panny 65" plasma display or the like.
These new displays will probably be out around the same time frame so hopefully I'll be able to due some direct comparisons!
I really like the two DVI/HDMI digital inputs of the new Samsungs and hope that other sets will follow.

geo

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
LCD is the technology with "gray" blacks, if people are going to go to technology bashing. A good plasma (Panny, Fujitsu, etc) has a better contrast ratio and better black details than the DLP sets.

And this coming from a DLP projector owner. :D

But a 65" is going to cost a lot of frickin' money!

John S

Senior HTF Member
No kidding on the plasma blacks, I'd rate the blacks of most Plasma's I have seen as pretty darn good. I like plasma displays alot, there is definetly something about that type of emmited light my eye finds comfortable / appealing. Way out of my price / screen size range, but the technology seems very sound to me, and I expect great things to come from plasma in general!

With every technology having it's pro's and con's, hard to imagine any entire display technology being bashed as a whole these days.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
To me plasma is really neat on good sets, like the panasonics, but the images when they move have a kinda wet feel to them. It is getting better, but its still a lil loose looking in motion to me. The DLP sets are good, but still dont match a CRT RPTV for overall picture in my eyes.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
I tell you, the non-Elite Pioneer 50" plasma with a good video source looks freaking amazing to me. I am not a huge plasma fan (comparing it to LCD and DLP RP's), but wow, the Pioneer is spectacular, I will get my mits (not Mitsubishi) on (by on I mean look at/play with) a 50" Elite soon, and I can hardly wait!

I am kind of a digital geek, and I actually like to see jagged lines instead of smooth lines (because of the display not being perfect) - I want to see EXACTLY what is coming in on the signal, not what the TV decides to show me.

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
Great going guys.

A member asks a very legit question about a particular product and this turns into I hate it-I love it flame fest of technology and NOBODY has a clue or an answer to the thread's question.:thumbsdown:

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor

You've got this backwards, Kenneth. The jagged lines are not on the original signal but rather an artifact of the display. You are NOT seeing "EXACTLY what is coming in on the signal"

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
John:

I am talking about seeing pixel-per-pixel resolution, which means with graphics (like letters on a news ticker), you sometimes see the actuall outline of letters, and not a blurrier outline. Same with computer monitors, I can see the 'J' in John is made up of pixels, and not a perfectly smooth 'u' shape at the bottom of the 'J'

Kin

Agent
Hi Geo,
Back to your original question... Yes they are available. I have one ready to go to a good home. Call or e-mail me to get the specific info.

Kin Beliakoff
[email protected]
1(888)286-5353

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks