What's new

508 acceptable noise level........ (1 Viewer)

Brad Newton

Second Unit
I just replaced my original 508 with another unit. The 1st unit had a whinning whistle kind of sound. The 2nd unit is quieter but still has kind of a low hum. To me this is not acceptable. The units I have heard in show rooms like Circuit City, my local dish vendor are very quiet. Do I have another defective unit or is this an accepted noise level with pvrs? If I choose to keep the unit, do I just have to get used to the noise?????????? :confused:

Brian R

Stunt Coordinator
I have the 501 and the only time I hear any noise from it is when I first turn it on and the drive is starting. It's not really noticable unless you are listening for it. If you can hear a noise from the unit while you are watching tv that is not acceptable.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Where are you putting the 508? I believe the fan itself is controlled by a thermometer such that you need some decent ventilation, just like with any PC or else the unit will run warmer and the fan will be on more often. I've put some larger standoffs on the bottom of my 501 and noticed the fan isn't on as much as it used to be. Of course, this doesn't help any if your fan is really loud. Like Brian says, I only hear my 501 when the unit is powered on or off as the hard drive seems to have a "park" function so you can hear an audible click.

Jay

Brad Newton

Second Unit
I had mine placed in an entertainment center with the rest of my equipment. It had plenty of room above & to the sides & the rear was not covered. Ventilation should not have been a problem. I returned both units. I could not accept the noise. IMO I should not have been able to hear anything at my seating position, approximately 12' away. Am I wrong in thinking that way...........or is a certain level of noise customary even at that distance?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks