What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

5.1 Speaker Options Opinions (1 Viewer)

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
Hey all,

I have some dilemmas and once again I come here for advice/reviews/input.

Here is the situation. I have a PC with an Audigy 2 ZS sound card. Of course it sounds great, best card I've ever had. My current speakers are the Creative T5400's which do just fine. However...

The other day I was at my local Fry's and I happen to see the massive set of Logitech's Z-5300e 5.1 speaker set and well now I want a new set of speakers.

I have a pretty decent Home Theater system. 5.1 Infinity speakers, good receiver etc etc. I am going to be moving soon out on my own and will probably be renting a single room, where of course space will be alot limited. So much so im fact my computer MAY become my primary way to watch Movies. I use to say I would never watch movies on my PC, but with how good they look and sound with my new system, I've loosened up on what I said.

Anyway so I have my eye on the 5300e's. I can get them on Ebay shipped new for about $100, which is a great deal. The speakers are THX Cert and I know would sound great with my Audigy. For those of you who have these speakers, how are they? Would they make me happy? I know the T5400's I have are standard fare, so I would hope the quality of these Logitech's would be noticable.

The reviews of the Log's have been very positive, about the only negatives are the cables are too short (Not an issue for me) and no digital connections. I wanted to ask, is this really important? I know my current speakers connect through 3 2 channel connections on the sound card and it seems fine to me. Is this way not as "pure" as a digital connection? My home theater connects with a digital optical connection which of course decodes the 6 channels all digitally though the connection is a single plug. (Which I've always thought was very cool btw.)

Getting to my point, I wanted an opinion on the Z-5300e's?

Also, do you know of any other 5.1 speaker options that are THX cert, and have a digital connection? I do NOT need a speaker system with a digital decoder, as that would be very redundant.

How big a deal is the digital connection to my ZS sound card VS the Mini plug x 3 analog route?

Thanks for reading and for any input.

-Adam

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I have the Z-5300e speakers, connected to an Audigy 2 ZS Platinum card. They sound great. You should be very happy with them. Mine were $200 at Best Buy.

I saw a set of Klipsch for about $350 there too. Don't know if they have a digital connection or not.

Once you get setup, you will also need a software dvd player, that supports surround. Power DVD, Windows Media Player and WinDVD, all require you to BUY the version you'll need.
The guy that built my computer, had a return of a bad card, that had WinCinema Pro (WinDVD w/surround support) with it. He let me have it, for free! I lucked out.The right software DVD playert came with a $40 surround card, and my $200 Audigy didn't include it. Strange, huh?

Good luck! Keep us posted on what you do, and how you like the results? :)

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
Thanks for the reply. I'm definately leaning towards getting the Z-5300's. Just trying to haggle someone for the shipping. But it looks like I will be getting them for around $130. Not too bad at all.

(I also intend to ebay mr T5400's so hopefully I can get some money back.)

I already have Power DVD and Win DVD that have the software decoding so I'm all set there.

I had to get Win DVD because I can not get my Audigy 2 ZS to play DVD Audio with the creative player. I long since given up on this. :) I don't even know if Win DVD plays them using the card's built-in decoder, or via software form the program.

While I am asking, how do you actually USE the decoders on the Audigy? You would think it would use them for DVD movies etc, but I get the feeling they are all decoded by way of the software in the various DVD Player programs.

I got this great sound card with this onboard decoder. Just be nice to utlitize it somehow. :)

Ken Makela

Stunt Coordinator
I too am shopping for computer speakers. I'm trying to decide between the Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1, or 2.1. It really boils down to how much the 5.1 set-up is. I'm not sure if I would use it a hell of a lot, but it would be nice to have that option. A local dealer told me they were expecting a shipment this week. I'll have to check them out on the weekend.

Ken

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I think it activates the decoder when you setup and calibrate your speakers. You'll have to choose the 5.1 audio track in movies, through the movies menus.
Also, after calibrating the speakers, open the DVD-Audio player, and put a dvd-a disc in the drive, and see if it plays then.....
Good luck! :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have the Logitech 5300-Z.

Really great speakers, though I must admit
I have had my eye on the Klipsch line because
I like their remote control better.

These 5300Z speakers are just great, though
they are not quite the top-of-the-line.

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
I ended up getting the Z-5300e's. I got them today and I just love them. I can't believe Im almost tempted to watch DVDs more on my computer now. I have a 5.1 system in there with infinity speakers... but I love the personalness of my computer.

Love the quality, I have no complaints. I got them new for $85. Not counting shipping. $85 for $200 speakers is hard to beat....

I'd recommend them to anyone, I wont be needing computer speakers for years.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I recently go the Z-5500's along with the Audigy 2 ZS. I was replacing onboard 5.1 sound (A97) which was connected to a reciever via digital coax then had some decent bookshelf speakers all around. 5.1 in gaming never worked properly so I switched to the Audigy. Wow what a difference. Then got the Z-5500's off of Logitech's site for $220 shipped. They sound great, and everything from DVD's, DVD-A, and games work correctly. I really like the volume control panel which can take two digital connections plus analog along with headphones connected right into it. No comments on the remote since it isn't something I need to use but from the looks of it, it is pretty basic.

It's been awhile since I've had a decent set of matched speakers, and a good soundcard hooked up to my gaming pc. It just makes such a huge difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks