What's new

5.1, 6.1, 7.1 - what's next, 10.1 ? (1 Viewer)

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Trying to wire up the basement before the sheetrock gets installed, so how many speakers should it be ?

Currently have it wired for:

Front L/R/C
Front L/R Effects (for any Yammy I might purchase)
Center L/R
Rear L/R/C
Sub

This gives me 10.1 - any upgrades I'm missing ?

PS - I don't have enough rear room to put up multiple rear L/R surrounds.

Thanks

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I recently saw on TechTV that the next sound format for theaters was going to be 10.2. I don't know how long until this trickles down to HT, or if the .2 even will, becaus i don't see the need for 2 different LFE tracks. Just passing on what i saw.

Yogi

Screenwriter
I wouldn't want my living room to look like a speaker showroom, so I am not even going to get into it, or alteast not right now. 5.1 is goodenough for me rightnow even though I have a 7.1 receiver. Some day when I'll have my basement finished, I might build a dedicated HT in there and then I might go for the 10.2 format. Even then I'll probably have the front speakers hidden behind the front projector screen. I am not that crazy about being overwhelmed by speakers in my room.

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
Sunfire already offers it.
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
Fact is, a 9.1 or 10.1 or greater system simply ain't going to derive benefit in the majority of the personal HT's out there. Too much sound for too small a space... it will likely muddy everything instead.

Even 7.1 is essential overkill (that said, check my setup)

I wouldn't worry about upping beyond what you've done.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks