What's new

42nd Street (1933) via Warner Archive (1 Viewer)

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Never in my wildest dreams would have thought WB would release this on blu ray! Oh, if only we could get some more best picture nominees, or even - GASP! - BEST PICTURES THE LIFE IF EMILE ZOLA and THE GREAT ZIEGFELD.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
It's been on Warner Archive Streaming. Looks great! A lot of great classic HD films there.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Just saw it listed in Brandon's release schedule as 21/4/15 so should be on Amazon soon after. Can't wait!

And does anyone here know how a 'foreigner' can get access to Warner Archive Streaming?

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Does anyone know when this will go up for sale?

Neither Amazon or WBShop have it listed yet. It's been a week since the news broke, and we are just four weeks away from release day.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
71TbsKJS0iL._SL1000_.jpg
Now Available for Preorder​
The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.​

Last edited by a moderator:

Conrad_SSS

Second Unit
I saw a 'preview' of what to expect of the new Blu-ray release o 42nd Street on Saturday, when I had the great pleasure of seeing Warner Brothers' new restoration of this film at the TCM Film Festival in Los Angeles via DCP.

Packed house went wild over the movie, and equally everyone was talking about how great it looked, especially for a film that is 82 years old! I was truly blown away by the quality of the image. Even on the day it opened way back then, it couldn't have been so sharp and clean (the latter due to today's technology).

This bodes for a great Blu-ray to look forward to from this new restoration. So glad I pre-ordered from Amazon (and supported HTF in the process).

Seeing a film like this with an audience adds such an extra element of fun, I'd suggest inviting friends over to watch this film, especially those who may not be familiar with older films, no less musicals. It's a great deal of fun, and a true cinematic treasure.

:thumbs-up-smiley:

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Ronald Epstein said:
Never saw this film before. Ordered it blindly.

Heh-hehh....Whatever you might have thought about "Old 30's musicals where bathing beauties make patterns with their legs", be prepared for a jolt. :cool:

(Wonder if it's actually better starting with 42nd St., Footlight Parade, or Goldiggers '33 for that first Busby experience, but I'll go with iconography and say 42nd.)

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Ejanss said:
Heh-hehh....Whatever you might have thought about "Old 30's musicals where bathing beauties make patterns with their legs", be prepared for a jolt. :cool:

(Wonder if it's actually better starting with 42nd St., Footlight Parade, or Goldiggers '33 for that first Busby experience, but I'll go with iconography and say 42nd.)
If we're talking about exposing the younger uninitiated to Berkeley and older films in general, I suppose I'd go with 42nd Street, because it's more of a straight drama that's been reworked a few times over the years and may seem more accessible as a result. Then I'd proceed to GOLD DIGGERS after giving a brief overview of the Depression and saving FOOTLIGHT PARADE, which for me is a wonderful dessert and possibly the best of them all, for last.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Rob_Ray said:
If we're talking about exposing the younger uninitiated to Berkeley and older films in general, I suppose I'd go with 42nd Street, because it's more of a straight drama that's been reworked a few times over the years and may seem more accessible as a result. Then I'd proceed to GOLD DIGGERS after giving a brief overview of the Depression and saving FOOTLIGHT PARADE, which for me is a wonderful dessert and possibly the best of them all, for last.

Well, was pointing more to how surprisingly UN-happy most Warner Berkeleys tend to be once you watch them (but in a good way :D ), but I'd go with the same lineup for similar reasons.

They're pretty much what you'd call full of surprises:

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
My copy of 42nd Street is in transit, which means it'll reach me here in Oz in approx 2-3 weeks, so I'm keen to hear from those of you who've already received your copy!

Imagine my annoyance though that after weeks on pre-order, the price drops straight AFTER release. We're not talking big dollars here, only $1.50 (from $17.99 to $16.49), but it's the principle that really gets my goat. I would have thought that Amazon/Warners would wish to show respect and appreciation to those who place orders early by ensuring they get the best price for some time before the inevitable price drop. What is the incentive otherwise to place a pre-order?

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
RMajidi said:
Imagine my annoyance though that after weeks on pre-order, the price drops straight AFTER release. We're not talking big dollars here, only $1.50 (from $17.99 to $16.49), but it's the principle that really gets my goat. I would have thought that Amazon/Warners would wish to show respect and appreciation to those who place orders early by ensuring they get the best price for some time before the inevitable price drop. What is the incentive otherwise to place a pre-order?
Since the price dropped on release day, Amazon may honor the lower price

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks