What's new

36" Traditional or 32" Flat (1 Viewer)

Keith Townsend

Auditioning
I'm debating between getting a 36" traditional TV and a 36" Flat non HDTV. I have about a $1000 budget excluding tax and extra's for my TV. I'm putting it in my Family room which is 11.5x18. The viewing distance is about 15 Feet. I love the image that a flat screen gives in the store and the 36" traditional isn't bad. I use my TV for mainly wacthing DVD's and a little cable. I like the advantages of 16:9 on a flat "32 inch but I believe the viewing distance may be to great for this size TV. So I'm looking into 36" traditionals. The last TV I brought was my current 27" traditional 6 years ago. More than likely it will be another 6 years before I buy another TV. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Keith

nousername

Supporting Actor
Any 36-inch traditional TV should be fine, as long as it has the anamorphic squeeze, since you mentioned you plan to watch a lot of DVDs. It should also have component video inputs, not just S-video inputs.

Keith Townsend

Auditioning
I thought that might be confusing. By traditional I mean Cylinder. I've been looking at different sets. I've been all over the place in price and technology. Originally I looked at the 47" Panasonic 16:9 Projection TV. But after taxes and extended warranty I'm looking at about $2500. Next I moved to 36" Flat Screen models like the Wega. These are very nice sets that are 4:3 in form but have 16:9 scaling technologies (which I'm not %100 sure how it works).

It was suggested to me that I spend a little less(maybe $1000) on a TV and invest $800 in my HT. I know there are some 32" HDTV in the $1300 price range but that brings me back to the size problem. It sounds like prices just haven't fallen into the range I'm willing to spend on a 36" HDTV yet. If there are any products I'm over looking please feel free to let me know. I'm pretty new to this side of technology.

Also, I've decided to reconfigure my family room so that viewing distance is about 9'.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
It was suggested to me that I spend a little less(maybe $1000) on a TV and invest $800 in my HT. I know there are some 32" HDTV in the $1300 price range but that brings me back to the size problem. It sounds like prices just haven't fallen into the range I'm willing to spend on a 36" HDTV yet.
It depends on your priorities. I assume you mean audio when you refer to "HT". Remember that your image size will play a big role in the home theater formula. A monster audio system will serve little for theatrical impact if you have a 13" monitor (to present an extreme example). What you ultimately need is balance as allowed by your budget (which is a moving target in HT anyway). Also consider that you will waste every cent you spend on a set if you're ultimately not satisfied with the outcome. Given the size of your room 32" is still smallish but certainly workable. Even at 9' I think you'll lose impact, particularly when you consider movies framed at 2.35:1.

Given that this is a long term decision and you seem to be unconvinced of the smaller screens I would suggest holding out for a few months to save the difference to go with a larger set. You have lots of room to accommodate a 50-60" RPTV. I'm not sure of US pricing but you should be able to find a Toshiba 50" with vertical compression for about the $2K mark. Sony also has RPTVs with compression but you're going to spend even more at that point. But shop around as you may be surprised. Off the top of my head I can't think of other 4:3 RPTVs with compression at this time (hopefully other alternatives can be offered). You have best of both worlds with 4:3 and 16:9 content and can easily manage the screen size. Given that your priority seems to be DVDs the image quality will absolutely be there. Just a different perspective to consider.

Keith Townsend

Auditioning
I went to the Sony Show Room during my lunch got a chance to look at some pretty cool technologies. Their 40" HDTV WEGA is cool but out of my league. I'm about %90 decided on the Panny PT-47WX49. Best Buy has it on sale for $1799 with free shipping. I just need to make sure I can cover the check. I'm going to chew on this for a free days. Based on our discussions if any of you guys can think of a different set in the same price range let me know.

Andy_A

Second Unit
Take a look at the Sony KP 43T90. It is 43", has a 3D Y/C filter, and I think my do 16X9 enhanced. In any case, it is a great buy, especially on a budget. Peace

Rod Melotte

Stunt Coordinator
I see no problem with a 32inch set at a viewing distance of 14 feet. I currently have a 27 inch Sony at 14 feet and I ONLY feel small with I put it in 16:9 mode. the viewing height is 9 3/4 inchs (compared to 10 in in non-16:9).

I guess it depends on what you are used to. If you have a 60 inch set you would thing watching a 32 inch from 15 feet is not an option.

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
I just picked up a 32" Samsung tsl3294hf flat screen HDTV for $910 delivered and could not be happier. Almost half the price of a 32"xbr450. If seriously on a budget (like me), this is the way to go.

Derek_C

Agent
I would say definately go with a flat screen.
But whether to get hdtv or not is not as cut and dry. With DVI and/or firewire connectors a few years away this may not be the best time to buy a hdtv. (I just recently bought one but use it mainly for dvds). But if you watch a lot of regular television you might want to wait. Check out the HDTV and DVI thread for more info.
Anyway, good luck with your decision :)

Rod Melotte

Stunt Coordinator
Personally I'm not sold on HDTV at all for anybody NOT getting a 50inch screen. it's not worth the extra cash.

The diff between digital and HDTV is so small on "small" tubes is not worth the extra cash, AND I'm not sold on the idea tha HDTV is the way of the future.

People like to say it is but the public is not really behind it so far. Espicially with digital gaining a foothold.

Is watching Everybody Loves Raymond in HD really that important? Do you need that much assumed detail watching the news?

Plazma tubes are the future and they are as good as HDTV in my view.

To answer your question. Bit the bullet and buy a 36 ince flat screen. If you buy a 32 inch Flat you will always WISH you had 4 inchs more (I know my wife does - :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks