What's new

3 cheers for FOX, DREAMWORKS & PARAMOUNT and how they treat HTF! (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Let me bring all of you up-to-date
on a situation we are involved in
here in California as of Friday,
September 21st.
Next week is our National Home
Theater Forum Meet in Los Angeles.
It was a week where 60 of our
members from all over the world
were converging in LA to spend
a much ballyhooed week in Hollywood.
We were to visit all the major studios
including Dreamworks, Warner,
Fox, Paramount and Columbia.
As you are all aware, on Thursday,
the FBI received information that
the studios were being targeted for
terrorist activity. Hollwood essentially
shut down overnight.
This morning, one-by-one, I received
phone calls from each studio who
cancelled our visits. All this happening
as 60 people were already mostly in
transit to Los Angeles.
The FIRST person to stand up for our
forum was Peter Staddon of Fox. He
vowed that we would have our day
at Fox.
Dreamworks then stepped up to the
plate and opened their studio to us
because they understood the sudden
situation we were in.
Martin Blythe at Paramount was still
cautious to promise us entrance to
Paramount, but nonetheless, he is
personally coming to our hotel to
talk with us and show us some advance
product.
On behalf of all the people who were
let down by Columbia & Warner's
cancellaton, we strongly applaud three
studios that have strongly supported
this forum and went out of their way
to clear security for us to visit their
studio at a time when security is tight.
Let me end by saying this...
The Hollywood scare, from what we
have privately heard, is probably
not real. The FBI has to act even upon
threats that they feel aren't credible. Terrorists strike without warning --
they don't call in threats.
We truly appreciate the three studios
for helping out our forum in this very
difficult time.
------------------
ronbo.jpg

Ronald Epstein (pronounced like the English "Ronald Epstein")
Circa 2000
Home Theater Forum Administrator
All forum questions & to get on our private forum mailing list (new members)... Email: [email protected]
Problems with the webpage or site? Contact WEBMASTER
Email Packy [email protected]

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
Just a thought, Ron... Isn't this example a perfect analogy of the state of DVD today? I mean, any real enthusiast for the past 4 years could tell you, this wasn't always the case, but certain studios aren't gaining any ground the past 18 months or so.
Although I won't be in attendance, I'm glad to hear of the commitment by quality, committed studios.
BTW- Those 3 studios are the lion's share of all DVD that I sell at my store. When people ask me for recommendations for a first DVD, I always point to either Gladiator, Braveheart, or Die Hard as some of my 10 Best sellers, weekly and monthly. Their support makes a difference.
Matt

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
_5_ cheers for Fox and all of the rest
Hmm, I definately see a Fox, Dreamworks, and Paramount DVD on my to buy list over the course of the next couple weeks
When I'm seesawing on a DVD, the fact that these studios produce such quality product, and CARE about their customers always brings me to the buy side. Thumbs up to Peter, Martin, and whomever it was at Dreamworks!
Jeff Kleist

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
I wish I could be there, guys. I wish you all a good trip. Thanks, Fox, Paramount, and Dreamworks. You guys are okay in my book, even if I can't attend the trip (living in KY, I don't get to go on that many excursions to L.A.) :)
------------------
Horror AND non-horror fans unite!
jasvparbanner2.jpg

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
Yep, they beefed up security here at CBS Studio Center today as well. But so far, everything is a GO for Will & Grace with no cancellation. On "According to Jim" tonight, extra plain-clothed security personnel were down on the floor as well as in the audience. Warners shut down three of their gates, and to get in there will take each individual about 20 minutes to clear.
As a side note, I caught Jerry Goldsmith working here at the CBS Studio Center, scoring a film at the Todd-AO scoring stage. I was hoping he would be working upon your arrival but it was not to be. He finished up yesterday (bummer, as I had brought all kinds of dvd's for him to sign on Friday) On the day you all come, Disney will be scoring there but I was not able to clear the group. They told me the director would never go for it. Oh well, I tried! See you all Tuesday
[Edited last by David Tolsky on September 22, 2001 at 03:41 AM]

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Don't be so hard on Sony and Warner Bros-- who actually evacuated part of the studio on Thursday. Groundless or not, studios have to take these threats seriously and I'm sure a blanket order to shut down operations and/or tours has to include everything-- including HTF tours. While it's a drag that you guys won't be able to cover everything you want, don't blame the DVD guys; blame the cretins who originate these threats.
Hope to see some of you next Saturday at Dave's. I'm so busy this week with work and a couple of concerts that I couldn't do anything with you guys even if Ron gave me special SoCal dispensation!
Also, if you guys are able, sneak up to the Egyptian in Hollywood tomorrow for the last few of the Ridley Scott films for the festival. Blade Runner was tonight, but tomorrow is Legend (the US cut). Ridley Scott talked after the film and said he's working on a "tighter" cut for the DVD of Blade Runner that might include the hospital scene with Morgan Paull (tentatively due next summer) and that Legend will either be out just before Christmas or just afterward.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Allow me to add my voice in favor of those 3 studios. I agree that we shouldn't be too extremely hard on the other two studios, whom are merely being cautious after the events of 9-11. But the other 3 have obviously gone so far out of their way in this case, that they definately deserve a pat on the back.
I wish I could be there; I've been through L.A. once for about an hour, just to use the LAX airport on business. I've never seen Hollywood or anything; it would be fun.
Anyway, I just wanted to show some HTF support for this great thing that Fox, Dreamworks, and Paramount are doing for us. They are so cool! :)
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
TwinTowers.jpg

Did you want us to respect your cause? You just damned your cause.
Did you want to make us fear? You just steeled our resolve.
Did you want to tear us apart? You just brought us together.
http://www.miami.com/herald/content/...ocs/000565.htm

Ricky f

Supporting Actor
I wish I was going, But nope guess I will have to stay home and drink some English tea and watch the DVD's which these great movie companies produce.
Oh well.
Regards,
Ricky
------------------
jasvparbanner2.jpg

www.petitiononline.com/UncutDVD
Thank you WILL K for the banner

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I've arrived in California after driving almost 3000 miles in anticipation of this great event. Regardless of any obstacles we must face in light of present conditions, I'm confident that the real reason this 59 year old made this solo trip in the Black Beauty ('95 Impala SS) - the interaction between HTF members - will assure the success of the conference.
Some of our venues may change out here in Hollywood, but the spirit of the HTF lives on in these most trying times as we all search to get a little normalcy back in our lives. The drive cross-country was enlightening, inspiring, and healing.
And let me publicly thank Ron Epstein and all others working hard behind the scenes to continue to pull this gathering together under the most difficult of situations.
This will be a trip to remember.
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

------------------
RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
Link Removed

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I want to add my public gratitude for these 3 studios as well. You guys rock!
But I also want to note that the tours which were cancelled are all *public* tours, which were cancelled PERIOD, not just for us. Fox & Dreamworks do not normally offer tours, so we're under tight security there anyway. :)
Which makes Martin Blythe THAT much cooler! Thanks Martin, I really look forward to thanking you in person!

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Well, that certainly is some rotten news, followed by some good news. A big part of the fun last year was getting on the lots and seeing so much great stuff (like the audio synching for Proof of Life). I know Sarah fell in love with LA thanks to last year's meet and was upset that we couldn't make it this year (F1 race same week).
That being said, RAF is dead-on about the real charm of the meet, that is spending all that quality time with so many online friends in person and making new ones. Once you meet people in person, your conversations at HTF take on a whole new depth. You'll still end up with a ton of memories, and maybe you can spend the time catching some of the sites that we had to pass up last year like maybe a run up to the observatory for a Rebel lunch or something. :)
I know you guys will still have a blast AND you will still have some terrific studio interaction thanks to a few people going way out of their way.
------------------
Greetings from the Humungus! The Lord Humungus!
The Warrior of the Wasteland!
The Ayatollah of Rock and Rollah!

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
David, this meet is for non-CA residents. There is a seperate meet for people "in-country" so to speak. This is because Ron can only get about 30 or 40 of us in the door at any one time. However, you can still go meet everyone at the hotel, and go to Studio Day at Dave's Video. It's just the studio lot events that are limited
Jeff Kleist

David Oliver

Second Unit
Cool, I understand. Unfortunately I missed the CA meet when I came down with the flu. I hope you guys have a great time!

Mike Levine

Agent
Real Name
Mike Levine
I haven't seen any reports posted by anyone who participated in the California Meet. Usually attendees post their impressions, experiences, etc. I haven't been able to find a thread on this. I would really like to read about how it was from anyone who was there.
[Edited last by Mike Levine on October 05, 2001 at 04:07 PM]

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
MIke,
It's coming soon- Ron will be posting the official info section and then allowing everyone to post their thoughts. We're all waiting for the official word to get put up.
-Vince
------------------
http://www.musicianassist.com
AIM: VinceMaskeeper
Interested in moving into FRONT PROJECTION with huge 6-10 foot widescreen? Buy my whole HDTV-ready CRT based front projection system delivered, cheap! Click here

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks