What's new

1st DIY: My own sub cable: Hummmm (1 Viewer)

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor
OK, I went to radio shack, I got some connectors. The kind that don't require soldering. I came home and realized that I didn't have enough wire, so I split some monster cable down the middle and twisted and then crimped them together. Now I have one long wire. I attached the connectors and then the sub.

Hummmmmmmm

A big hum is what I got.
What did I do wrong?

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
It could be an issue with the shielding. Maybe, where you combined the cables? Was there ever a hum before?

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor
THere was never a hum before.
I did this late last night, after I put the wife and kids to bed. This may be a stupid question, but does the subwoffer cable need to have two wires? I just have one, I didn't attach anything to the ground hole. I will fix this tonight. I found the original wire that came with the system. It should be good for this little experiment.
What do you think of 22 gauge wire for a subwoffer?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
This sounds like you’re using speaker cable. You’re not using speaker cable to feed RCA jacks, are you? If so, there’s your problem. You have to use shielded cable for a line-level run.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks