What's new

1803 sonotube done (1 Viewer)

Mike.D.K

Stunt Coordinator
Here are the results from 7ft away with meter pointed at ceiling. 20hz 95.5 22 100.3 24 103.4 26 101.6 28 99.9 30 99.3 32 101 34 103.8 36 106.7 38 106.6 40 107.5 42 105.1 44 104 46 102.8 48 100.6 50 100.5 From there on up it stayed pretty flat up to 80hz with one dip at 71hz. What do I need to do with a BFD to help out the bass? I don't have a BFD yet, but, I have a birthday next month and it is on my wishlist. These things really need broke in before you can appreciate their output. I can't wait to get my second one done!!

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
This post was a few lines down and will tell you everything that you need to know about using the BFD. The SW is not a requirement... an appropriate test CD and pen/paper will also work.

Mike.D.K

Stunt Coordinator
when I get the BFD, what should I do? Bring down all the peaks from 34hz to 46hz? The measurements above on my post are with the radio shack meter correction values already done.Do I really need a BFD? mike

Mike.D.K

Stunt Coordinator
Jack I am really new at this and the only measurements I know how to make are the ones in my post. Fb,Vb ? I don't have a digital camera but I'll try to get some pictures up. Anyone that lives close to Lexington Kentucky is more than welcome to come by and check them out!!

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Sorry, what are the internal volume of the box and tuning frequency, port size? The stuff you used for your design.

Mike.D.K

Stunt Coordinator
Jack I talked to Pat at Blueprint when I bought the drivers and went with his recomendations. 10 cubic ft tuned to 18hz with a 36 inch port 8 inch diameter. I bought two drivers but I only have one sub built. Pat has shipped me 4 drivers and 3 have been damaged by FedEx. The other sub is sitting here ready for the other driver. Trust me when I say that I didn't expect one could put out so much bass!! At first listen I was disappointed.(remember I was used to two tempest sonotubes) I played a bass cd a couple of times and then tried the Haunting again. The sub blew me away!! I have only had it built a couple of days so I'm sure it still has more breaking in to do,but I can tell a night and day difference already. Before you judge these 1803's you must give them time to break in a little. This one sub has more out put than both the tempest.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Mike, sounds great. :) I wouldn't doubt that the massive suspension would need to loosen up a bit. Strange about the damage, though, that's the first I've heard, I was impressed with the packing on mine.

Mike.D.K

Stunt Coordinator
Mike the only test I did was to check for spikes and dips. I used a Bass Mekanik cd that has test tones from 20hz to 99hz. The comparison of the one 1803 against the two tempests was totally by ear and house shake factor. I really liked the tempests subs. I had knee surgery and had alot of free time so I wanted to build two subs to keep me busy. I wanted to try the 1803 because I heard so much hype about it on the forums. My nephew is happy I did, he bought the tempest subs and the amp.He lives in a double wide mobile home and the first time he played the haunting, his father went outside because he thought it was thunder. His father lives a 100 yards from him. My nephew is happy but I'm not so sure about my brother!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks