What's new

140 decibels is really loud (1 Viewer)

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor
I was going through some old papers on my desk and came across some information about how loud the interior of a jet engine gets. I just thought it might be neat to share. Of course, it is refered to as "being loud." That would be too simple. It is called "Sound Pressure" just so we can sound smart at our meetings. Technically, that is the accurate term, but pretense annoys me. At 140 dBs, titanium panels could fatigue and break because of the vibration. Sometimes, parts need to be modified for no other reason than the accoustic response. I think I will keep all my >100Hz sounds less than 100dBs. As for the jet engine frequencies, it is just a big jumble. Nothing really specific.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Sound pressure is actually a very correct term if you watch cars in an audio soundoff (dB drag). The Pontiac Sunfire I used to run was metered @ 140.6dB. Watching from the outside, the small windows in the back would actually flex out a little during loud excursions making it look like the car was breathing. Over the course of two years of competition, the pressure cracked the welds on the rocker panels.

I've seen SPL shatter a rear window and push the windshield out of a truck.

I've actually sat in a pro competition van touting near 160dB (wearing earmuffs of course) for a couple burps and you literally can't breathe. It feels like you're being hit REALLY hard in the back. It's almost better than sex! :D

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
That explains why some of the locals with their bass cranked to the max look like the car is breathing. I call these things "portable earthquakes".

So the joke I thought was so funny, "Geez, a couple more decibles and that car is going to fall apart!" was pretty accurate.
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks