What's new

10 Great Places To See A Classic Cinema (1 Viewer)

Adnan Sheikh

Stunt Coordinator
Wholly agree with the inclusion of the Senator. I've been there three times now (AI, Apocalypse Now Redux, Harry Potter), and they have only disappointed me by showing lousy trailers in front of Harry Potter.

Chauncey_G

Second Unit
There's a great little theater in Kansas City called The Englewood that shows nothing but old films. It isn't huge (big, yes, but not huge) and not overly ornate but it's a nice, old theater with lots of charm and a great place to see Humphrey Bogart, Cary Grant, Jimmy Stewart, Lauren Bacall, Katherine Hepburn, etc.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
The Chinese Theater is excellent, Seth, but I'd have to put the Village in Westwood above it for its superior sound system. Both times I've been there, the picture was razor sharp and bright, and the print was pristine. It is a grand old movie palace (seats around 1,500) with a balcony, and the sound is truly state of the art.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'd agree with Robert. The sound at the Mann Village in Westwood (I went to UCLA) is absolutely fantastic! And they have it properly set, so it's not overly loud like some places tend to do. It's very well-balanced sound that is completely enveloping (when appropriate) and yes, they generally have good prints there--I can't remember the last movie I watched there where the print wasn't at least "pretty good."

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
My own preference would be for the Loews Auditorium at the Sony Lincoln Square, which isn't "classic" in any sense but is clearly trying to invoke that spirit.
..and is one of the best sounding theaters (THX) in the city, therefore in the world! :D
--
Holadem

Paul Richardson

Second Unit
Villa Theatre Salt Lake City
This is probably going to close down soon, which is unfortunate since it's one of the last remaining Cinerama theaters in the country. It's a great old theater, but I'm not sure why it's on the list since they don't show classic cinema there.
My choices for Salt Lake City:
The Organ Loft -- somebody put together an authentic organ from the silent era and they show old silents here with live accompaniment. If you are ever in Salt Lake City for whatever reason, call them and see if they are showing a film that weekend. The screen is small, but the experience can't be beat.
Jordan Commons -- this is a newer cineplex that shows classics in a modern theater (stadium seating, the works) in addition to the current blockbusters. The last movie I saw there was Raiders of the Lost Ark and it looked and sounded great! This week, for instance, they are showing White Christmas and Picnic.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Seth, if you are going up to Chicago to check out the Music Box keep going another hour to Milwaukee and checkout the Oriental as well.
Thanks for the tip.
Now all I need is a VW van, a geeky movie-nerd buddy, and a Mastercard. :D
Hot Dog - $6
Small Pepsi (sir, we don't have a "small")
err...Medium Pepsi - $8
Tub O' Corn - $7
Milk Duds (enough to feed a small country size) - $6
Movie Ticket $10
8 theaters down and 2 to go - priceless actually pretty damn expensive, time to quit. :p)

Matty B

Stunt Coordinator
The Mayan theater in Denver is GORGEOUS. It has carved wood walls. The sound sucks, but it has a bigger screen than a lot of places.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Just sticking my head in this post to say that I am proud the Oriental made the original list! It's a great theater.
Actually there are a handful of classic theaters here in Milwaukee, although the numbers are dwindling due to the encroachment of the megaplexs. We just lost the Avalon to a restaurant, I believe.:frowning: The previous owner would still have someone come in once a week to play the old organ before the show.
*sigh*

John Stockton

Second Unit
While the Village Theatre in Westwood is very impressive, I would not say that it has the best sound system in the Los Angeles area. That honor goes to Century Plaza #2 in Century City. The massive sound system was personally designed and comissioned by John F. Allen. It has the eqiuvalant power of 9 symphony orchestras. When properly setup, this theatre will out perform all other venues in Los Angeles. Click on the link for a pic of this auditorim.
http://www.hps4000.com/pages/pix/cplaza2.jpg
To find out more about the system visit:
http://www.hps4000.com

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks