$10,000 to spend...Need suggestions.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PhilipW, May 31, 2001.

1. PhilipW

PhilipW Second Unit

Mar 5, 2001
    I am in the process of designing and building a new home that will have a dedicated HT. The dimensions will be 15'x21'. I need to purchase the following:
    Front Projector & Screen
    DVD Player
    Speakers (In Wall)
    DirectTV HDSTB
    Wiring (audio and video) not included in $10,000 but suggestions will be appreciated.
    My current setup is a Pioneer SD-532HD with a Sony HTIB and Sony 360 DVD player. This will stay in the living room, however, I'm not really sure (as you can see) what to get for a dedicated theater. Now I'm not asking for specific pricing, but a general idea with name brands & where to find this equipment.
    Here in Oklahoma City there are only 2 "high end" stores that I have found. One deals in mainly Pioneers, the other in Mitsubishi & Sony. Neither deal heavily in Projectors. Also, any suggestions with video distribution systems would be appreciated.
    If this sounds unreasonable, also let me know. You won't hurt my feelings. [​IMG]
    Thanks in advance.
  2. Tom Rosback

Tom Rosback Stunt Coordinator

Jun 7, 2000
    $10,000 Unreasonable? Heck no. Here's what I spent on equipment for my theater.
    Proj - Sony 1272Q, 800 Hrs, used,execellent, $3000
    Screen - Draper 106" Diag 16:9 Cineperm, $500
    Doubler DVDO iScan Plus - $500
    Toshiba SD 5109 DVD Player - $500
    Denon AVR 3300 Receiver - $800
    That's $5300 for the Electronics so far, leaving $4700 for speakers and satellite gear. Sat stuff will eat into the $700, so you've got $4000 left for speakers. Not bad!
    Bass is really important, so I'd spend $1500 to $2000 on subwoofer(s), the rest on the mains. Should be do-able.
    If you don't want to mess with a CRT unit, the LCD and DLP PJ's are getting better, but you'll spend around $6k for a decent one, mail order.
    Hope this helps.