What's new

#1 Pet Peeve - Player generated subtitles! (1 Viewer)

AndrewWickliffe

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Wickliffe

Whenever anyone advocates burnt-in subs, I think about "Irma Vep," which I believe had some of the burnt-in subs cut off.

Subtitles, like most other things with DVDs, can be good or bad depending on the company.

I do think player-generated subs (from text) is a far superior idea than the stupid little bitmaps. Imagine getting to pick your own subtitle color (for instance, I prefer yellow for black and white full frame and white for everything else).

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
No, no, NO! Please don't give the studios any dangerous ideas. Just because you don't speak language X, doesn't mean that no one does. Subtitles should be optional. Period.

Some of the most horrible DVD transfers in my collection have burnt in subs. Just say no, please!

Ted

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I assume we are talking about only the subtitles that are needed for a specific scene (i.e. Greedo's conversation) as opposed to fully translating the movie into a new language?

But either way, I think the reason has to be so that the studios have a 'clean' print for every language. For a movie like Star Wars where they'd have to translate Greedo's speech into many languages, having the player handle it, they can use the same footage for every region without having to worry about various language versions.

It may not be the greatest method, but it makes a lot of sense as to why it's done.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks