Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Bram Stoker's Dracula SE

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
39 replies to this topic

#1 of 40 OFFLINE   Tom Stolz

Tom Stolz

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted October 25 2002 - 01:57 PM

I know it's been a long coming SE that a lot of people have been waiting for, but does anyone have a clue to what exactly is the content of this edition and possibly when it will be available? Any info...

#2 of 40 OFFLINE   Rolando

Rolando

Screenwriter

• 1,320 posts

Posted October 25 2002 - 02:33 PM

I would buy it in a heart beat but I am afraid this most likely got canned to have the superbit edition instead...
Rolando Avendano

My Collection

#3 of 40 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Executive Producer

• 10,051 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted October 25 2002 - 02:40 PM

I'm still holding out. I understand that a SE Laser disc was released with a fantastic documentary. Maybe a lucky LD owner can shed light on what we're missing?

#4 of 40 OFFLINE   JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted October 25 2002 - 03:37 PM

I havent heard anything on a SE for this. I would love to have one.I really want to see some of the cut footage like the Brides chasing Harker through the castle.
Im pretty sure the Making Of that was on the Laser is the same as HBOs and thats on the DVD I think.

#5 of 40 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,683 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted October 25 2002 - 04:16 PM

I own the Criterion laserdisc. Features on this are:
  • Commentary by director Francis Ford Coppola, special effects supervisor Roman Coppola, and makeup supervisor Greg Cannom.
  • The Dracula Legend
  • Editing Dracula with interactive "hands on" editing workshop.
  • Cinefex: Dracula's effects scene-by-scene
  • Separate presentation of complete music and sound effects track.
  • Extensive still-frame section with behind the scenes photos, production stories, original storyboards, special effects analysis, costume design analysis, and more
  • Video documentary on Dracula's production.
  • Original theatrical trailer.

The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#6 of 40 OFFLINE   JeremySt

JeremySt

Screenwriter

• 1,775 posts

Posted October 25 2002 - 05:01 PM

a fantastic documentary

The columbia LD has the 1/2 hour HBO making of. As far as I know, thats it for documentaries produced for this film. I hope someone can prove me wrong, beccause I would love to have something more. The Criterion LD (I own it) contains a portion of said documentary.

#7 of 40 OFFLINE   guille verdun

guille verdun

Stunt Coordinator

• 70 posts

Posted May 10 2004 - 09:48 AM

WOW:

No news yet for Dracula SE!! i really want this film in 2 disc set. Anybody? Any news?

Have a nice day!
May the force be with you all dvd
fans!

#8 of 40 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted May 10 2004 - 10:09 AM

hopefully Dracula will be re released like other Coppola films

Posted Image
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#9 of 40 OFFLINE   Joe_Pinney

Joe_Pinney

Stunt Coordinator

• 183 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted May 10 2004 - 12:51 PM

I have a (shhh) VHS copy of the Criterion laser disc (I didn't own a laser disc player back then but a roommate did and I copied his disc, item for item, on two tapes), not so much because of the image quality (which I knew would suffer, although not horribly; it's watchable), but for all the extras. I'm glad I held onto it. It is, quite honestly, what should be on any SE DVD of the film, if not more.

I'd venture a good guess that Sony/Columbia's going to release a Blu-Ray version of it sometime in the next few years, possibly with even more extras than on the Criterion (if there are any to be had). That's just me, but that'd be what I'd put my money on. And obviously, that single Blu-Ray disc would be packed with the goodies and would look extraordinary, which is really the kind of presentation the film deserves.

#10 of 40 OFFLINE   Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter

• 1,568 posts

Posted May 10 2004 - 01:01 PM

Seeing as Columbia licensed Criterion's Holy Grail commentary track, it's not inconcievable that we'll see the same supplements appearing on any new DVD (including the full-length documentary, hopefully).

#11 of 40 OFFLINE   Haden

Haden

Supporting Actor

• 782 posts

Posted May 10 2004 - 01:21 PM

Seeing Van Helsing today made me long for Bram Stoker's Dracula even more. Every few months I'm reminded of that persistent 3 yr old rumor of a special edition in the works. It pisses me off that we've waited this long and still haven't been given the DVD.

#12 of 40 OFFLINE   JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted May 11 2004 - 12:50 AM

If you dont own it, the Superbit is awesome

#13 of 40 OFFLINE   Frank@N

Frank@N

Screenwriter

• 1,718 posts

Posted May 11 2004 - 01:51 AM

Quote:
If you dont own it, the Superbit is awesome

I've still got the original release with it's zero-generation 'menus' (almost funny), but the PQ isn't bad.

Passed on SB because, like many other SBs, it was just re-encoded rather than re-transferred.

Although the original probably isn't dual-layered, I suppose.

Funny how twice the available data doesn't always make for clearly greater PQ.

LD extras are cool, like when Oldman demands the Batsuit be created or talks about where he summons his emotion for acting.

If they pair the SB disc with an extras disc in an SE, I may upgrade.

#14 of 40 OFFLINE   Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter

• 1,455 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted May 11 2004 - 03:36 AM

Quote:
I've still got the original release with it's zero-generation 'menus' (almost funny), but the PQ isn't bad.
Compared to the SB as viewed on larger displays, it ain't good Posted Image

Quote:
Passed on SB because, like many other SBs, it was just re-encoded rather than re-transferred.
The re-encoding makes for a substantial reason to upgrade if you have a larger screen or TV. The DTS track also included on the SB is the other big reason to upgrade.

Quote:
Funny how twice the available data doesn't always make for clearly greater PQ.

Oh, yes it does! To be fair, it depends on how one is viewing the discs. On monitors <40 inches, you may not see much of a difference.

Don't just take my word for re benefits of SB - see for yourself (this for Bjoern's Fifth Element review and SB vs. orig. release comparisons)...

http://www.videophil.../TFE/TFE_01.htm

Quote:
LD extras are cool, like when Oldman demands the Batsuit be created or talks about where he summons his emotion for acting.
My favorite bit is where he flubs a reading during rehearsal and he SMACKS his head with his hand multiple times - HARD - and says, "f**cking LINES, MAN!!" Winona just stands there, stunned. Priceless!

Cheers,

#15 of 40 OFFLINE   Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann

Producer

• 3,515 posts

Posted May 11 2004 - 07:28 AM

Quote:
Oh, yes it does! To be fair, it depends on how one is viewing the discs. On monitors <40 inches, you may not see much of a difference.
Does my 96" HD-FP qualify? If so I'll add that I had both versions of BSD and the difference is quite minimal.

This film desperately needs a new transfer!

Of course by the time Columbia get's around to it, you might as well wait for the eventual 720p BD-DVD version.

#16 of 40 OFFLINE   Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter

• 1,455 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted May 11 2004 - 08:26 AM

It should! I stand by my comments.

Cheers,

#17 of 40 OFFLINE   Matt Czyz

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor

• 902 posts

Posted May 11 2004 - 09:34 AM

Don't know if this is of interest to anyone, but there's a comparison of the region 2 and SB Region 1 Dracula dvds at

http://207.136.67.23...re2/dracula.htm

#18 of 40 OFFLINE   Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter

• 1,326 posts

Posted May 11 2004 - 10:24 AM

I heard the film originally had an X or NC-17 rating...film was cut up a lot...can anyone confirm this? If so, it would be nice to have a different cut available.

Mike

THX/ISF Professional Video Calibrator
HIGHEST FIDELITY CALIBRATIONS

#19 of 40 OFFLINE   DanR

DanR

Supporting Actor

• 676 posts

Posted May 11 2004 - 11:13 AM

Quote:
This film desperately needs a new transfer! Of course by the time Columbia get's around to it, you might as well wait for the eventual 720p BD-DVD version.
Now THERE'S an idea. Bram Stoker's Dracula in 720p...where do I sign? Posted Image

Regards,
Dan

#20 of 40 OFFLINE   Simon Caleb

Simon Caleb

Stunt Coordinator

• 214 posts

Posted May 11 2004 - 11:39 AM

Dracula was indeed cut, for an R rating & also due to negative previews. The brides decapitations were removed due to neg previews, that much I do know.

With that in mind, I would only buy if the SE included an alternative longer & bloodier cut.
It's a 'need to know' situation, Paramount need to know we want F13th 2-8's restored and uncensored. No amount of talking head extras will do.

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow